Sunday, March 1, 2009

When a friend confides in you....

In the past few months I have shared with a few friends some really tough stuff that I am going through. I trusted them with my "secrets".... not to burden them... but to find support. To have someone to pray with me and for me.

What is a bummer is that no one ever brings up anything I've talked about. No one asks how things are going.

Have they forgotten? Maybe. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

I guess I am writing this because friendships are important. We all need a few people that we can be completely free to be ourselves around and share our struggles with. When a friend confides in you just remember that it is probably easier for you to bring the topic up again than it is for your friend. It is HARD to talk about our struggles because it makes us vulnerable. But once we have shared with you it gives you permission to follow up.

Even if you aren't good at it! Even if you don't know what to say. Just to hear a friend say "I haven't forgotten about what you shared with me. Have things gotten better or are they still tough? Well I just want you to know that I am still praying for you!"

Let your friends know that you really do care. :)

media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...