Thursday, May 28, 2009

This one isn't going to be easy... Quality over Quantity

I'm still working on some different things I learned from Joyce Meyer in her book 100 Ways to Simplify Your Life. I think I will be working on different things from that book for the rest of my life.

As I was reading it with my book group one of the things that stood out to me was to choose quality over quantity.

Meyer says, "Having more is not always better - it is very often worse. We tend to buy cheaper clothes so we can have more clothes, then we become frustrated because they shrink or fade or don't last like we thought they would."

That statement is very true of me. I kind of laughed as I read that because it had just been a few days before that I looked in my closet and decided I had nothing to wear. Sure I had plenty of clothes but they were all stretched and worn out. Why? Because they were really cheap.

I'm big on getting a bargain but I am realizing that it isn't much of a bargain if I can only wear that new shirt a few times before it doesn't fit anymore. Who cares how cheap it was. I don't want to have to go shopping for a new wardrobe every few months because my clothes are wearing out that fast. However... I've been shopping for bargains for sooo long now that I find it hard to spend much more than $10-$15 on any piece of clothing.

This is going to be a hard one for me.

I did go to the mall the other day because I desperately needed some clothes that weren't worn out. (And something other than t-shirts and tank tops!) Mike decided on a budget for me and I had a little shopping spree. I bought clothes from some stores I normally don't go in and thankfully they had some great sales going on. So it wasn't too much of a stretch this time. But $40 for one shirt! I don't know if I will ever be able to do that because I am always thinking "I could get four shirts for that price!" Of course they don't last. It will be an ongoing battle for me. I think I am kind of addicted to bargains.

But I love my new clothes. I hope they last. And from now on I am going to try to convince myself to go for quality over quantity.

media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...