Friday, July 3, 2009

More reasons I shouldn't eat sugar...

For those of you that have been following my blog for the past few weeks you know that I have given up sugar. My sister and I have entered a deal to help each other where if either one of us has a cookie or dessert or whatever it is that is sugar we have to send a dollar to the other. Not much... but enough to get the job done!! We are both sugar addicts and it is bad for our girly figures if ya know what I mean.

I'm doing good. I sat at a table last night with a cake in the middle... chocolate cake... the best... and I didn't even really care. I didn't have to fight with myself to say NO. And I even ate the fruit without the fruit dip because it was a marshmallow fluff dip... which is the best. But go me!

I have to say that in the past few weeks of not eating sugar I am feeling much better in general. And I don't seem to be as tired all the time. I like this change.

Changes aren't always easy but I believe they are easier when you have knowledge and information to go along with them. So being a book lover and a lover of knowledge I got myself a book called Eat This and Live by Don Colbert.



This book will make you WANT to eat healthy! I have so many more changes to make other than quitting sugar and I am sure I will write about them some day. Dr. Colbert is really passionate about being healthy and it comes across in the pages of his books. He is motivational and this book is so stripped down that anyone can understand it. If you have been wanting to change some eating habits I highly recommend this book! The information in it is eye opening and life changing.

Anyways... back to the sugar stuff. There are a few pages in the book that talk about sugar and I wanted to share some of what Colbert says. It has helped me be stronger in my attempts to break up with sugar this time and make it be final. (I can't do it just half way. I'm too addicted. I've tried. It's all or none for me and I understand this isn't necessary for everyone.)

Colbert says:

1. Sugar is addictive.
"Eating lots of sugar may deplete the zinc in your body, which can dull your sense of taste. When your taste perception is altered, you need more sugar to give you the same taste satisfaction. It becomes a vicious cycle."

I believe it!!

2. Sugar can impair your immune system.

3. Sugar is linked to behavioral disorders.

4. Sugar can lead to osteoporosis.
"Sugar creates an acidic environment in your tissues, which causes your body to cry out for alkaline foods. If you don't get enough calcium in your diet, your body may pull it from your bones and teeth to rebalance your pH, and you may develop bone loss and eventually osteoporosis."

Crazy yeah? Not quite worth it.

5. Sugar can lead to type 2 diabetes and elevate cholesterol.

6. Sugar can make you fat. (Which was definitely true for me!)
"When you overeat sugar, your body goes into fat-storage mode. That's why most diabetics gain weight when they begin taking insulin- often as much as twenty or thirty pounds. Sugar creates a cycle of demand for more sugar, which raises insulin levels. Insulin is a powerful hormone that signals the body to store fat."

So there you have it. If you have a problem with sugar maybe the information will help you make some changes that you need to make. It is DEFINITELY helping me!

Just a little fact from the book... "Back in the 1980s the average American ate 6 tablespoons of sugar a day. Ten years later, that average was 16 tablespoons of sugar. As of 2005, the average American consumes 150 pounds of sugar every year!"

That's kind of gross!



media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...