Monday, August 17, 2009

Parenting is TOUGH!

I love being a mom but I will also admit that quite often it is hard. Just when you think you are through the worst of one phase the next one hits and it's back to stress all over again.

Liza is almost three. She likes to be defiant... or just outright ignore us sometimes. She is testing us. Manipulating us. Trying to see if we will move the boundaries. Some days I feel like the only thing I say to her is "NO!"

Sometimes I get really discouraged.

I've started reading the book God Knows How to Raise Your Kids... even if you don't! by Joe McGee.



I'm not very far in but already I am finding that there is sooo much wisdom contained on the pages. It's been on my shelf for a long time waiting to be read and I think I opened it at the perfect time.

The little bit I just read discusses the importance of training our children. Don't just raise them... train them. Let me share a few short paragraphs...

During the time of training, parents can get an idea of where the end is. But they have a problem: they don't look at the end; they are always looking at "right now," saying, "Things aren't good now and I'm mad." They need to be looking at the end result. Remember, God calls those things that be not as though they were. (Rom. 4:17)

Most drivers' training manuals will tell you that the best way to stay straight while driving on the highway is not to look directly across the front hood of your car but to look at a fixed point down the road. Keep your eyes looking ahead, where you want to go, not just where you currently are.


I love it! That's my problem... I am always looking at right now and never at the end... I take my eyes off the goal and ONLY focus on the problem at hand. And a lot of days I want to give up. It is HARD to stay consistent in discipline. It is HARD to not just take a day off and say "Run wild you beast! I don't care what you do because I need a break today." It is HARD to be Mommy 24/7 and always have to be teaching and training and correcting. But if I give up now I would be doing my children a great injustice. It is MY responsibility to help them learn and grow and this is such an important time in their lives because we are laying the foundations that everything else will be built upon.

I need to stay focused.
I need to ask God for more wisdom. (James 1:5)
I need to not fail my children because I got tired and selfish.



media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...