Sunday, August 2, 2009

Phipps Conservatory



We spent Friday evening at Phipps Conservatory. It was the first time that either Mike or I had been there. It's a very pretty place with lots of neat and beautiful flowers and trees and plants. But I have to admit that what really made it great for me was the special display they had throughout the conservatory.

It was a glass art display from the artist Frabel. They put his work in the ponds, the plants, on the rocks... it was everywhere... and it was beautiful!!

I think my favorite was the Cavorting Clowns Fountain that you saw as soon as you entered. The way the light was hitting it just made it glow.



In the lobby there was a display of masks. I would never be able to be so creative to come up with so many different looking masks. I think I can appreciate art because I know I can never do it!



Can you spot the Mike mask?!



These guys were pretty cool too...



And this big guy was hanging from the ceiling in the lobby. Someday I would like to get a house with a really high ceiling in the entry way and be able to afford a piece of art like this!



There was so much to see at the conservatory. Each room was unique and beautiful. I think my favorite room was the butterfly room where we got to see a butterfly actually coming out of the cocoon!



(Not the butterfly that is working it's way out.)





Mike didn't think this looked too sharp... he found out that he was wrong!





Mike and I had a great time just wandering around, being together and having no deadline of when we had to be home. Even though it rained for a bit and we had to change up our plans we still had a great day!



If you are in the Pittsburgh area you should definitely check out the Phipps Conservatory while they have Frabel's glass on display. It will be there until January.




media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...