Sunday, January 24, 2010

Winter Hike

Yesterday was a BEAUTIFUL day... for January. The sun was shining. It was about 40 degrees. Lovely. We decided it would be nice to get outside for a while so we headed to Cook Forrest and took the three mile hike that took us past a fire tower with a nice view.

I've never hiked in the winter before but I found that I really enjoyed it. It was different. I should do it more often. This was the trail... (it was actually a road but it's used for the hike.)



I was pretty excited about the opportunity to use my camera with my new lens and play around with all the things I have been learning in the online photography class that I am taking. We stopped for some photos along the way...







Most of the trail was a bit dark because we were in the pine trees but we rounded a little bend and we saw this light coming through. I thought it was pretty. Golden. Like the light at the end of the tunnel. But it wasn't really the end of the tunnel for us. It wasn't even half way. But it was still pretty.



We finally made it to the fire tower and climbed up.



It was worth it. The view was pretty. I was taking pictures in the direction of the sun. The colors of the sky were pretty but I was having a hard time getting a good picture of it all.





Here is one that Mike took in the other direction from the sun... which I didn't think of doing... probably because it was a little bit cold and my brain wasn't fully functioning. But also maybe because I didn't think that side of the view was as pretty.




I would love to go back here again in the fall sometime when all the leaves have changed.

Mike and I at the top...



These are pictures that Mike took of me taking a picture of him. :)






Mike made a snowman.




I made some yellow snow. (Sorry no pictures of that!)

We continued our hike.





When we got to the car we cranked up the heat and headed back to the hotel... where we sat in the hot tub for a while before ordering pizza and playing games for the evening.

Pretty much a perfect day. :)



media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...