Tuesday, April 27, 2010

I will not repost.

I've seen this a few times on facebook this week as people's status...

I traded eyeliner for dark circles, salon hair cuts for ponytails, long showers for hairy legs, late nights for early mornings, designer purses for diaper bags, nice dinners for McDonald's and I wouldn't trade a thing!! With Mother's day drawing near lets see how many Mom's repost this!

Of course this has been changed as it's gone through people and you see things like...
"Mom's don't care what we have to give up for our kids."
and
"I would give everything up for my kids without a second thought."

Ugh.

I DO CARE. And no I won't give up everything. I am a person. I have a name. I don't want to be known as Liza and Jason's mom. I am LAURA! Yes I am their mom but I am still an individual and I have things that I am not giving up. And I don't think anything is wrong with that.

Sure I might have to put a few things on hold. I know I can't do my hobbies as often as I would like. BUT... I need to keep my heart alive because some day my kids will move out and I will need to know who I am because people will no longer be calling me Liza and Jason's mommy all the time and instead they are going to want to know who Laura is.

Don't throw yourself and your dreams out the window when you have kids. Find a way to BE YOU while being a mom.

Kids are being raised these days to think they are the center of everything and the world revolves around them. This is not healthy! It's alright to have your kids sit in their bed for ten minutes and read books so you can shave your legs. It's ok to put on a video for a little while if you want to fix your hair and put on makeup. These things don't make you a bad mom... in fact they just  might make you a BETTER mom (now there's a thought!) because you took time to make yourself feel better.

I know. I'm radical like that.

But you know that saying "if mama ain't happy ain't nobody happy"... I believe there is quite a bit of truth to that.

So... it's ok to change over the years. But please do not give up who you are because the world needs YOU!

media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...