Thursday, June 3, 2010

Bringing Up Boys

I just finished reading Bringing Up Boys by Dr. James Dobson. I have been challenged in many ways...

*to be a better mother
*to play more
*to be there every day
*to keep my kids my priority
*to see things from a boys perspective
*to make sure there are plenty of strong, moral men in my sons life
*to not hold Jason back from rough (boyish) play just because it makes me nervous
*to call on the grandparents and invite them to play a role in the development of the kids' character and morals
*to keep schooling options open and choose the best one for Jason so he can thrive
*to be consistent
*to lead by example, always
*to remember that boys are different than girls
*to pray for my son
*to protect him from "predators"--especially in the media
*to discipline
*to train in all areas of life

But most importantly I have been challenged to be more intentional about teaching my children about God, the Scriptures, prayer and the importance of keeping Christ at the center of their lives.

Deuteronomy 6:6-9
These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the door frames of your houses and on your gates.




Bringing Up Boys is a must read book for all parents of boys. It would also be good for grandparents and anyone that works with boys.

media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...