Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Wisdom

James 1:5 is my life verse. It's the one I fall to most often. It is the one that rules my life. It says...

If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.

I have learned that wisdom is no more than a simple prayer away.

I remember sitting in a Bible study a while back and this woman was dealing with a situation with her neighbor. She was telling us what was going on and she kept saying "I just don't know what to do. I don't know what the Christian thing is here." She so desperately wanted to do what right but it was one of those situations where the answer isn't real clear. The other ladies in the group were trying to offer her encouragement but all they could come up with was "Wow. That is a tough situation. I'm not sure what else to tell you other than to pray about it." And that's fair. Nothing wrong with that.

I listened for a while and then I could take no more. I nicely cut the lady off and said "I have your answer! You need wisdom. James 1:5 says to ask for wisdom and God will give it to you. So you just go home and ask for wisdom and do what God tells you to do."

And that is how I live my life. When I don't know what to do I pray a simple prayer. Something like this...

God, James 1:5 says if I ask for wisdom you will give it to me. This is my situation... please give me wisdom on how to do deal with it."

That's it. Nothing fancy schmancy. In fact, my prayer probably sounds like one from a child. It's not elaborate and eloquent. Just a simple request to God.

James 1:5. It's my lifesaver.

media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...