Thursday, August 12, 2010

Stony Man Mountain

Mike and I woke up Sunday morning at Shenandoah National Park and headed out for Stony Man Mountain.

Stony Man is called that apparently because the mountain looks like a man's face.

We hiked up to his forehead.
 
 
 
This is a short, easy hike. It's only 1.6 miles round-trip and a fairly easy climb. If I remember correctly this is the second highest point in the park. (Don't hold me to that though because I can't find where we found that information before.)

We hiked up to the top without passing any other hikers and we were still alone at the top. It was beautiful!


We could see Skyland Resort from the top of Stony Man. You can see some "cabins" in the mountains. Ours is right to the left of that last little one that you can see.


And you could see a bit of Skyline Drive... it's 105 miles long of this...


At the top...



And since there wasn't anyone else there we had to take our own pictures together. I got a little creative with the stitch mode on our point and shoot.



It was another lovely hike. I love Shenandoah National Park! I could have spent a lot more days there.


media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...