Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Let's get controversial.

Santa.

Yep. I'm going there.

We don't do Santa. That said, I don't care if you do. It's a pretty easy decision for us since neither Mike nor I grew up doing Santa. I just can't get in to it. I do have reasons beyond "I've never done Santa so I'm not starting now" though. And I'll share them... for the simple reason that I like to share my thoughts and perhaps cause someone else to think or challenge my thinking. (The challenge my thinking is pretty hard to do though. Just letting you know up front.)

1. The lies.
Ok. Don't go getting mad. You play your game and I'll play mine. I just can't go through with it. It gets too complicated and I don't like complicated. I sat around waiting to pick Liza and Jason up from school listening to all the other moms talk about all the lies they have had to tell their children and all the scheming they have to do. I just don't have the energy for it.

2. Mike works hard.
I probably mentioned this before but Mike works hard so that the kids can have a nice Christmas. They can thank their Daddy on Christmas morning for what they DID get and not sit there being disappointed because they didn't get something they wanted and asked the magic fat man in red for. This also sets us up nicely should we ever have a year where money is really tight and we can't do much for Christmas at all. The kids will know we did what we could and they will understand why they didn't get as much as their friends did and it takes pressure off of us as parents with little.

3. The whole "you better be good or Santa won't come" thing.
Back at the beginning of November someone's facebook status was along the lines of "I'm looking forward to the next two months being good since I can now use the "Santa is watching you" thing." What do you do if your kids aren't good? Do you really not give them Christmas presents? Our kids are going to get Christmas regardless of whether they were good or bad... because we love them and our love does not have to be earned. (Not saying you are making your kids earn your love... blah blah blah. Disclaimer here.)

4. Santa gets my kids focused on getting instead of Jesus and giving.
Of course there are people who find a balance and do this well. Again, I don't have the energy for it. Santa is out and Jesus is in. We talk about giving and what Christmas is truly about. And we leave it at that. Yes the kids are excited about Christmas and presents but it's rarely mentioned.

5. Kids are learning every where else that life owes them something and they just get what they ask for. I don't need to add to this.
Two examples:
I listened to a mom share about how her daughter wanted a Nintendo ds2 (or whatever the new one is now). She had received the ds last year so her mom told her that she probably wouldn't get another one this year. (Apparently they are expensive.) And the girl said (I got the impression it was snobby) "well I'll just ask Santa!"

A friend shared a story that while funny has me thinking. She said her daughter was at a Christmas party and sat on Santa's lap. He asked her what she wanted for Christmas and she told him "a robot". Santa then handed her a goody bag with all kinds of fun stuff in it. The girl saw that Santa was leaving and got mad and yelled at him "HEY! You didn't give me a robot!"



Santa just doesn't fit in to the things I want my children to learn. If you can make him work for you that's just fine. Again, I don't have the energy to get that complicated.

All that said... I haven't really said much about Santa at all to Liza and Jason. I was waiting until after their Christmas party at school because I understand Santa is a HUGE deal for a lot of people and I don't want to ruin their fun. The Christmas party was canceled and then moved to tomorrow so we will tell them more about Santa tomorrow sometime.

And that's my take on Santa. It's how I roll. I don't care how you roll.

media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...