Friday, January 14, 2011

Head-on Collision with Truth



I am currently reading The True Measure of a Woman by Lisa Bevere.

It's good. I'm only a few chapters in and have already been given a lot to think over and process.

I am going to share a page with you that I thought was great. The thoughts that Lisa shares and challenges us with need to be heard by me and so many others. We live in a world where we often make others our standard. I'm a better mom than so-and-so. I'm a better worker than so-and-so. I'm a better Christian than so-and-so. I'm a better whatever than whoever. I'm not as good as...

It's time to stop being concerned with others and focusing on what God wants from us and thinks of us. (I'm preaching to myself here just so ya know!)

We can only rightly divide truth when we have first applied it to our own hearts. For too long we have not had accurate information by which to measure ourselves. We have assessed ourselves by those around us and by our own past failures and successes. God does not measure us this way. Paul warns us:

We do not dare to classify or compare ourselves with some who commend themselves. When they measure themselves by themselves and compare themselves with themselves, they are not wise. --2 Corinthians 10:12

Paul was pretty bold, and if he says he wouldn't dare to do something, then it is definitely something we also need to avoid. Yet, often we have a tendency to compare ourselves with others. Our reasoning goes something like this: Well, I do more than Sally does! She only has one child and doesn't even sing in the choir! Or, I don't gossip like Susie; that girl is never off the phone! These exchanges may temporarily ease our consciences. Though it may be true, Sally and Susie are not God's standard for our lives. God says this line of reasoning and justification is not wise.

He wants us to have a head-on collision with truth, not with someone in the choir loft. I have learned that when I am confronted with truth, it is best not to defend myself but to submit to it. Hidden in the initial pain of impact is the power to rise from my captivity.

Deception comes in when we resist truth. In a confrontation with truth, reasoning and justifying ourselves will lead straight into deception. When the truth of God's Word is applied, we can see with our eyes, hear with our ears, and know with our hearts.

What have you been reading? Learning? Getting convicted about?

media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...