Friday, April 1, 2011

Memorizing gives confidence

I've decided to join Tiffany from My Journey in Motherhood again for Faith Building Friday. Be sure to check her post out... it's a good one!


My friends and I are starting the Bible study Becoming a Woman of Prayer by Cynthia Heald. Prayer is something I have been working on being better about and I find that I continue to do better when I am reading or learning about prayer. That is why I picked this study. Plus... with the nicer weather coming up people won't want to be doing a ton of extra work and this study doesn't require much time each week.

Anyways... I just finished working through the first chapter but I didn't even need to get that far to get my first conviction. That came in the introduction. (I think this study is going to challenge me haha.) Heald says "The Bible reveals that prayer and the Scriptures are intertwined--and so you may want to begin memorizing the suggested Scripture passage at the start of each session."

I've never been on to memorize scripture on purpose. I've learned a bit of it over time. When you study and talk about it and share it you start to remember things. BUT I guess it's time to start doing it on purpose.

The thing is that the Bible tells us in Hebrews 4:16 "let us then approach the throne of grace WITH CONFIDENCE, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need."

1 John 5:14-15 says:
This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him.

It's easier to approach with confidence if we KNOW who God is and what His promises are. If we know His will... which is found in Scripture. And I so I will begin memorizing because I know there is much truth in this... not just because the Bible says so but because one thing I have never had any lack of confidence asking for is wisdom because I know that God says in James 1:5 that if we lack wisdom we should ask for it and he will give it to us. My confidence comes because I KNOW I can ask for it and he will give it. And he has every time I've asked.

I'm not good at just picking out a verse and saying I'm going to memorize this one. So I will start with the first one in my Bible study...

Jeremiah 33:3 (I liked it in The Message)
Call to me and I will answer you. I'll tell you marvelous and wondrous things that you could never figure out on your own.

I almost got it down. :)

And what an amazing promise that is!! Call to me. I WILL answer you. And then I will tell you things you could never figure out on your own. I am so excited to talk with God and learn all the things I could never figure out on my own... perhaps answer to some things in my life, wisdom on how to fix some relationships, ideas that I could never ever think up on my own. Who knows! But I'm ready to find out!!

Do you memorize Scripture and then use it when you pray?

media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...