Sunday, May 29, 2011

Made To Crave

I have a little online book club going on with a few friends. We just started so if it sounds like something you want to do you could easily get caught up to where we are.




The book we are reading is Made to crave by Lysa TerKeurst. Lysa begins by telling us about her struggle with food... strangely it sounded very much like the same struggles I have. Stuck in a rut. Wanting more. Wanting to make better decisions... but continuously failing. She shares how she finally overcame all that.

In the book Lysa is talking about how God was challenging her to surrender to his control. She says:

"Really surrender. Surrender to the point where I'd make radical changes for the sake of my spiritual health perhaps even more than my physical health."

Lysa then asks "Is it possible we love and rely on food more than we love and rely on God?"

Guilty.

I'm guilty. I rely on food... too much.
Sad? Food.
Angry? Food.
Empty? Food.
Alone? Food.
Victory? Celebrate with food.
Tired? Food.
Bored? Food.

It's always food. But the food only makes me feel better for a (very) short time. And often it leaves me feeling worse.

I guess it's time to make some changes--radical changes. It's time to put my spiritual  health first. It's time to surrender. Fully.

We will crave whatever we fill ourselves with. If I am always running to food and filling up on that then food is what I will crave. But if I take Lysa's advice and use my food cravings as a prompt to pray I will start filling up on God... and I'll begin craving God.

Crave- to long for, want greatly, desire eagerly, and beg for.

I hope that someday soon that list above will look more like this:
Sad? God!
Angry? God!
Empty? God!
Alone? God!
Victory? Celebrate with God!
Tired? God!
Bored? God!

And then I can say with the Psalmist "How lovely is your dwelling place, O Lord Almighty! My soul yearns, even faints, for the courts of the Lord; my heart and my flesh cry out for the living God." (Psalm 84:1-2)

We were made to crave.

Crave God!

media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...