Thursday, May 26, 2011

What Does Forgiveness Say?

Forgiving someone does not say that their actions are right.

What forgiveness does say is “God, this is yours now. I don’t want to be the judge of this. I’m releasing this wrong into your hands for you to deal with. I want to be free from it.”

Forgiveness says “I will no longer treat him as guilty. I cancel the debt.”

It says absolutely nothing about the person who has wronged you. Forgiveness doesn’t really have a lot to do with the offender. But it does have everything to do with your heart.

We are to forgive every offense, big or small. Immediately.

We are to forgive as the Lord forgave us.

Colossians 3:13 (NLT)
Make allowance for each other's faults, and forgive anyone who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others.

When we forgive we remember grace and extend grace.

Grace-
1. Favor; good will; kindness; disposition to oblige another; as a grant made as an act of grace.
2.  Appropriately, the free unmerited love and favor of God, the spring and source of all the benefits men receive from him.

I also find it interesting that another part of the definition of grace is “favor, mercy, pardon.”

If you remember back to the definition of forgiveness it says “the pardon of an offender.”

God extended grace to us and so we extend it to others.

We forgive.

And when we do we say “I no longer call in the debt you owe me for the offense. I pardon you. I am unlocking the chains and walking away from the wrong done. I want to be free. I’m forgiving because Christ forgave me… a sinner… when I was so undeserving of it.”



“Forgiveness doesn’t make the other person right, it makes you--free.”
~Stormie Omartain

media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...