Thursday, September 15, 2011

Set an Example in Life: Patience

1 Timothy 4:12
Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.

We are in the middle of talking about setting an example in life and I am going through the fruit of the spirit.

Galatians 5:22-23
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
PATIENCE

The Greek word used for peace is makrothymia. It means:
1.) patience, endurance, constancy, steadfastness, perseverance
2.)patience, forbearance, longsuffering, slowness in avenging wrongs

Patience doesn’t give up easily.

Proverbs 15:18
A hot-tempered man stirs up dissension, but a patient man calms a quarrel.

Patience doesn’t have a hot temper.

Proverbs 16:32
Better a patient man than a warrior, a man who controls his temper than one who takes a city.

Romans 12:12
Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.

Patience should be a way of life.

Ephesians 4:12
Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.

Bear means to hold up and support. We are to that in love, with patience.

1 Thessalonians 5:14
And we urge you, brothers, warn those who are idle, encourage the timid, help the weak, be patient with everyone.

Everyone. It leave no one out. Be patient with everyone.

I know that I have a lot of work to do with patience. This is a hard one for me. So often I just react. I would do much better if I would learn to take a few minutes and then respond. I can also get so impatient with my kids… I forget that they are just that… kids.

And so I am going to pray for patience. I’m sure that makes someone reading this go “oh boy. That’s a stupid prayer. Her kids are just going to be worse now and God is going to GIVE her a situation where she needs patience. She’s going to regret that prayer.” But I won’t. Because I don’t believe all of that. No where in my Bible does it say that if I pray for patience that God will give me something to be patient about. Instead, I believe that he makes me more aware of the times that I am being impatient and He is leading me to change, trust in Him and become like Him.

I will be more patient.

Note: Being patient with someone does not mean being a doormat for them to walk all over. You can be patient and still have firm boundaries. Be wise.

media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...