Monday, September 26, 2011

Set An Example In Life: Self-Control

1 Timothy 4:12
Set an example for believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.

Galatians 5:22-23
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

The only fruit left to discuss if self-control. I was going to post this on Friday but since I was losing it about every ten minutes I just couldn't do it. Just being honest with you all. I'm feeling better about life and my temper today though so let's finish this thing up. :)

SELF-CONTROL

The Greek word translated as self-control is “egkrateia”.

Egkrateia-  Self-control (the virtue of one who masters his desires and passions, esp. his sensual appetites)

I’m not really sure where to go with this one. It seems pretty self explanatory. And it’s also probably the hardest one for me.

Proverbs 25:28
Like a city whose walls are broken down is a man who lacks self-control.

The note in my Bible says that a city whose walls are broken down is defenseless and disgraced.

A lack of self-control leaves us defenseless against the schemes of Satan.

1 Peter 5:8-11
Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings. And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast. To him be the power for ever and ever. Amen.

James 1:12-15
Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him. When tempted, no one should say, “God is tempting me.” For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed. Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.


I have to be honest here. I really struggle with self-control when it comes to anger and food.

I’m a lot better in both areas than I used to be but I also still have a long way to go. 1 Corinthians 10:13 is an encouraging verse for me and one that I need to keep at the front of my mind always. “No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.”

I need to be more aware of when I am about to lose control and seek for the way out that God has provided. And really, if I think about it… God himself is our way out.


When the temptations come and we feel that we are lacking self-control we need to turn to God. And by “turn to God” I mean to completely turn away from the temptation and seek God. Fall on our faces before Him. Let HIM be our answer and our way out.






And now I must start applying my own advice.

media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...