Monday, October 24, 2011

Train Up Your Child



A while ago I wrote a blog sharing what I was reading in Proverbs and that is where the verse is that says “train up your child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it.” I‘ve been thinking about it ever since! It’s intense. And it’s changing me.

Do you know what it means to train? What does that look like? How do we begin?

This parenting stuff is tough work! And no one is paying us to do it. But we are told that we must train up a child.

I wanted to know more about what this means so I started looking into it… I shared these definitions before but I think it is worth it to share them again...

Train- to educate; to teach; to form by instruction or practice; to bring up. Also to develop or form the habits, thoughts or behavior of (a child or other person) by discipline and instruction.

Training a child is going to take lots of discipline and instruction.

Instruction- the act of teaching or informing the understanding in that of which it was before ignorant; information

Discipline-
1. To instruct or educate; to inform the mind; to prepare by instructing in correct principles and habits
2. To instruct and govern; to teach rules and practice, and accustom to order and subordination
3. To correct, to chastise, to punish

Train. Discipline. Instruct.

Notice that punishment is a very minor part of discipline. Instead, discipline is about educating, instructing in proper ways, teaching rules and practice.

But the part of the definition that I think takes the cake is “to prepare by instructing in correct principles and habits.”

To prepare for what?

LIFE!

Someday these birds are going to fly the coup and be out there on their own. As parents, we are responsible for training them in a way that will prepare them to be successful adults. Successful members of society.

I’ve really been rethinking the way I discipline/train and over the next few days I am going to share some of those things with you.

media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...