Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey

Last year I posted about one of my favorite Christmas books... What is Christmas? You can go read that post for more info on it.

We don't do Santa here (I don't care if you do) and I find it difficult to find good Christmas books that don't have Santa as the focus. Over the years though I have come up with a few and I decided I would share them with you.

Today I want to tell you about The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey by Susan Wojciechowski. (How about THAT last name!?)



Jonathan Toomey is the best woodcarver in the valley. He keeps to himself, though, and never smiles or laughs. No one knows that a lace handkerchief, a tiny white blanket, and a portrait of the wife and child he's lost lie hidden in a drawer he never opens.

One day in early winter the widow McDowell comes to call. Would Mr. Toomey carve a new creche for her in time for Christmas? And would he allow her young son to watch while he carves it?

A quiet request leads to a joyful miracle, as the widow and her son gently warm the sad heart of Jonathan Toomey.

It's a longer children's book but my kids sat and listened to it all and they liked it. It's a story that gets me a little choked up at the end... the happy, joyful kind of choked up. And I just love the little boys take on the nativity... the sheep look happy because they knew that they were with the baby Jesus and the cow was proud because it knew that Jesus chose to be born in its barn.

Christmas through a child's eyes is always priceless.


Not too long ago I picked up a second copy of this book at a thrift store so...

I am giving away one (used) hardback copy of The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey.

Win it for your own family or for a friend or relative. Doesn't matter to me who you are winning it for. :)

One entry per person. Winner will be announced on Wednesday, December 14th.

To enter the giveaway just leave a comment telling me what your favorite Christmas book is. You do not need to have a blogger account to enter but you will want to leave your name in case you win.


media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...