Friday, January 13, 2012

Fitness Friday: Not Beneficial





1 Corinthians 10:23
Everything is permissible—but not everything is beneficial.

This is where I am at. This is what I am constantly reminding myself. All that food. There is so much that I want. I COULD have it. It's not like it will kill me on the spot and the only thing that God specifically asked me to avoid was sugar. So I could totally down a box of crackers or a bag of chips right?!

Not gonna lie... I kind of want to.

But I realized that typically when I give up sugar I just replace my binging with some other type of food... normally crackers and chips and all other things that are bad for me in large quantities. And I eat them large quantities.

Not beneficial!

So I'm currently avoiding all of those snacky kinds of food as well. Why? Because I mentioned before that I have a total food problem. I eat all the time and for all the wrong reasons. Right now I want to eat because I am bored. Yesterday it was because I was stressed.

All emotional eaters raise your hand! *Raising hand really high.*

My hope is that by the end of the year I will not have just quit sugar for a year or lost the weight... but rather my hope is that I will have learned to deal with my emotions and boredom in more healthy and more beneficial ways.

Removing all sugary things and snack foods from my life and my home will be a huge help in this. Why? Because I have removed the convenience of eating when I am bored. It's a lot harder to find a snack when you decide you want to eat if you can't just grab a bag of chips. I might actually have to make up an entire salad in order to have a snack. And well... I'm just not going to do that very often! Grabbing a bag of chips is easy. Making a salad or trying to come up with some other healthy snack? No so convenient.

Lysa TerKeurst says this about convenience:

Unhealthy choices are always so convenient. They are packaged and preserved and sing of salty and sugary highs tailor made for a hungry stomach. You don't find fresh fruits and veggies conveniently located in a nearby vending machine. So, I give in to that bag of chips or a candy bar because I am so hungry and it will only be for this time. These empty calories do nothing but taste good in the moment and then set me up for more unhealthy choices just a short time later.

And that's the truth of it. And that is why I need to change my thinking and change my habits. I have to remember that not everything is beneficial for me.



media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...