Saturday, January 28, 2012

A Little History

I know I've been talking about getting healthy a lot lately but that's a big focus for me at the moment so that's what I am going to be talking about. :)

I wanted to share a little bit of history so you know where I am coming from. Maybe you will relate with this. Maybe you won't. But maybe it will encourage someone else that is starting to waver with their resolve to stay on track.

I grew up active. Hours of running around the neighborhood, even in high school. Great games of tag, riding bikes, craziness. I also played sports up through high school. Soccer several seasons of the year. Softball in the summer. Track in the spring. I was an active girl.

I continued to be active in college. Intramural sports year round and hours spent at the gym because I had nothing better to do.

Then I finished college and got married. Life changed drastically. I was home a lot doing nothing. I didn't know anything about cooking so I used a lot of those hamburger helpers and things like that. (Which now makes me kind of want to gag haha.) Most of my food was processed and lacking in nutrients.

Over two years I put on 25 pounds and went up two pants sizes. I felt awful and was always tired. I was so out of shape. I was lacking confidence. I was unhappy with myself. I was unhealthy.

I decided to take charge and started reading books about eating right. The more I read the more I changed. (Knowledge is power.) We started eating much much better. I was moving a lot more. And I dropped one pound a week for 25 weeks straight.

It was during that time that I also quit eating sugar for the first time ever. I didn't have it for NINE MONTHS! I felt amazing!

And then I got pregnant. And I gave into my cravings. I remember ice cream being the first thing that I couldn't get out of my mind. I gave in and got some. And then I continued to indulge for nine months. I gained 50 pounds. I lost it all six months after Liza was born. I went back and forth between eating sugar and not eating sugar. I was still doing my best to eat right.

Then when Liza was eight months old I got pregnant again. And once again I indulged constantly and ended up gaining 50 pounds again. Ugh! It took me a year to lose it the second time and I've been a constant yo-yo ever since. Gain ten. Lose ten. Gain eight. Lost eight. Gain fifteen. And that's where I am now at.

But you see... somewhere along the way... between the sleepless nights and lack of convenience... I let some of my good eating habits slip. I never went back to those hamburger helpers but I wasn't making the best choices either.

You see... it's easy to be all pumped when you start out on a new plan for life. You get excited about it. You remember all the reasons you are no longer eating some things that you used to eat. But time goes on and you start to forget all those things you learned. You long for convenience. (Especially when you have a 17 month old and newborn... don't judge me for not sticking with my healthy eating plans!) You give in a little here and a little there and before you know it you are so far from the way things had been.

I could sit around and beat myself up and call myself stupid for slipping back into old habits and old ways of thinking about food. But that won't move me forward. Instead, I've set out to learn again. I'm reading books. I'm making changes. I'm teaching my children and encouraging my husband. This time we are all in it together. We often exercise as a family and we talk about the foods we are eating and why they are good choices.

Changes are happening. Knowledge is good. And it's easier this time because I already have a foundation. It's not all new.

Now I just need to stick with it!

I need to continue to learn. Continue to fill my mind with knowledge about healthy living. Continue to remind myself of the reasons I started on this journey.

This time it's for life!

media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...