Saturday, February 4, 2012

Tarpon Springs Part 1

Linda had some things that she had to do on Friday so Lisa took me to Tarpon Springs. The big deal about Tarpon Springs is the sponge docks. Natural sponges EVERYWHERE.

We woke up early and headed out. It was about an hour drive so we packed our lunches and ate when we got there. Lunch under a palm tree. Lovely!

IMG_0677 copy

I packed a salad but forgot a fork. Not good. But I managed. I just wrapped up some cheese and tomatoes in a piece of lettuce and dipped it in some dressing.

Me with my imaginary fork... stupid pic but I like it because ummm... I have a shoulder muscle!!

IMG_0676 1

After lunch we walked around and did some shopping. Lots of those silly little souvenir shops but there were some good ones mixed in. Lisa enjoyed the wine shop. I enjoyed the shop full of spices and teas. And I bought a few soaps. There were a couple of stores selling soaps... because you know... soap goes well with sponges which you could find in abundance in just about every shop.

 IMG_0711 1

We shopped. We took pictures. We enjoyed the perfect weather for a day like that.

IMG_0680 copy

IMG_0720 copy

IMG_0728 1

IMG_0735 1

Lots of fishing and diving for sponges goes on around this place. They said that people will be out on their boats for two or three weeks at a time. I can't even imagine! I think I would go crazy.

There are tons of Greek restaurants here but we didn't eat at any. (We stopped at Panera on the way home... I know I can eat well there. :)) In the middle of the day we went out on a boat tour thingy. I'll tell you about that in the next post so that this doesn't end up being a mile long.


media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...