Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Is He Really Laughing?

I'm sure you've heard the phrase "If you want to make God laugh just tell Him your plans."

And you know what... I get why people say it but it just kind of bothers me.

My kids tell me that they want to be all kinds of things when they grow up. When Jason says he wants to be a garbage man I know that it is likely that that is not what he will do with his life but I don't laugh at him either. I encourage him to DREAM. And right now, in his little mind, a garbage man is the coolest thing ever. And every time that Jason yells hi to our garbage man you should see the smile that lights up that man's face.

No one is laughing.

And I have plans. I have plans of what I want to do with my life. Plans of how I want to be better. Plans for what kind of neighborhood I hope to end up in and what I want to do with my time in that neighborhood. I have plans to give someone a home that does not have one. I have plans to reach people for Christ and better their lives. I have plans for what I hope to do with my money. I have plans for what I want to do with my time. I have plans for events. I have plans for books to write some day. I have plans for my days. I have meal plans.

I. Have. Plans.

And no. God is not laughing at them. God is not laughing at me. I can't see the whole picture but I believe it is unwise to have no plan at all. And while I can't see the whole picture, God can. So even if the plans aren't exactly what He has set, I really don't think He is laughing. Instead, I picture him being a loving daddy and smiling down at me saying "I love your heart Laura! Those ideas are wonderful!" And then, where they are off he will guide me back to HIS plan.

But laugh?

Nah. My Daddy doesn't make fun of me.



media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...