Sunday, April 22, 2012

Full Bloom - Intro


Earlier this month I wrote about a new ministry that my friend Amy and I started called Butler Praise and Coffee. In March Amy had a breakfast where she invited a bunch of her friends and shared a devotional. I loved it! I wanted it to happen again and again and I wanted to be a part of it.

The afternoon of that breakfast I was working on a craft that involved some flowers when the word BLOOM popped in my head and it wouldn't go away. I was wondering "what in the world is the word BLOOM floating around in my head for!?" And then a word for each letter came to mind. I decided I better just stop my craft and write down those words. It was a while before I got back to my crafting because I wrote up the majority of a message that flowed out of the word BLOOM and I knew I should tell Amy that I had a message for her next breakfast. And that's how I got to be a part of the team that put together Butler Praise and Coffee... and that's also how I ended up being the one to share the message yesterday at our first official meeting.

Butler Praise and Coffee 005 12


I'm going to share that message on my blog throughout this week. Today I'll give the intro and each day I'll post about a letter from the word bloom.

**********

 Full Bloom 
Intro

Psalm 1:1-3 from The Message

How well God must like you— you don't hang out at Sin Saloon, you don't slink along Dead-End Road, you don't go to Smart-Mouth College.

Instead you thrill to God's Word,
      you chew on Scripture day and night.
   You're a tree replanted in Eden,
      bearing fresh fruit every month,
   Never dropping a leaf,
      always in blossom.

This passage gives us some good advice on how to live a life that is always in blossom but I want to give a few other practical things we can do daily to help us bloom.

Blossom and bloom are synonyms.

So what does “bloom” mean and what does a life in bloom look like? I want to start by defining some words...

Bloom as a noun means:
A flourishing, healthy condition; the time or period of greatest beauty, artistry, etc.

Bloom as a verb means:
To flourish or thrive.

That sounds good enough on it's own but I always like to go one step further and define some words that are in the definition. I like to get a full understanding of what things mean and this is a great way to do that because I could explain what it means to flourish and thrive but the definitions give a great picture of each of those words.

Flourish:
to be in its or in one's prime; be at the height of fame, excellence, influence, etc.
to be successful; prosper.
to grow luxuriantly, or thrive in growth, as a plant.

Synonyms of flourish are grow and increase. Antonyms are fade and decline. If you are not blooming you are fading.

Thrive:
to prosper; be fortunate or successful.

 
When we are in full bloom we will flourish and thrive. We will be successful and have influence. We will prosper. We will be in a period of greatest beauty.

So how do we bloom?

I'll start answering that tomorrow. :)

media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...