Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Be Strong and Courageous!

I give regularly to a ministry that I love and believe in and this past month they sent my statement and on it there was a small note thanking me and it said that the person sending the note was praying Joshua 1:9 over my life and heart this month.  That got me opening up to the book of Joshua which I have been reading since but I have some favorite verses...

Joshua 1:5-9
No one will be able to stand against you all the days of your life. As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you. Be strong and courageous, because you will lead these people to inherit the land I swore to their ancestors to give them. Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law that my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.


I just LOVE these verses sooo much! There is a lot in those five verses and I just get a bit excited about it all. The promises. The encouragement. The wisdom. I'm gonna break it down...


1. God will never leave me nor forsake me.
Now that right there is good stuff! Solid. God says it therefore it is true and that's that! I like definitions and years ago I decided to define some of those words so it could really sink in. This is what I found...

God will never (not ever, at no time, absolutely not even for a moment)
leave me (go away or depart from, abandon, disregard, neglect or exclude me, leave me behind or stop using me)
nor forsake me (quit or leave entirely, desert, withdraw from or renounce [put aside or disown] me.)

Yeah people! I am NEVER alone!


2. God will accomplish what He started.
He says you will lead these people to inherit the land I swore to their ancestors to give them. That made me ask "What has God said He will do with my life? Who I am to lead and where am I to lead them?" God has started something in my life and as long as I lay down my life for the life He has for me those things will be accomplished.


3. God wants obedience.
Some things that God said in those verses... Be careful to obey all the law that my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left. Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it.

God wants us to obey ALL that He has asked of us. Everything. Not 99% of it... but ALL. God wants unconditional, habitual obedience that comes out of our love for him. (Not legalism.) Let His ways be what is spoken about and lived out. Do EVERYTHING.


4. Obedience brings blessings.
This is one of those "If... then..." things. It may not say it exactly like that but it is there. If you want blessings then be sure to obey and follow God.

Be careful to obey all the law that my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go.

Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.


5. We are to be strong and courageous.
This is actually a command! "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous."

Some definitions of strong are:
*of great moral power, firmness, or courage: strong under temptation.
*solid or stable; healthy; thriving 
*having powerful means to resist attack, assault, or aggression
*able to resist strain, force, wear, etc.
*decisively unyielding; firm or uncompromising
 
Definition of courage (because courageous just took you to that...)
*The power or quality of dealing with or facing danger, fear, pain, etc.
*The courage of one's convictions, the confidence to act in accordance with one's beliefs
 
We don't have to be afraid because God is with us wherever we go!!
 
 
 
That's good stuff!! 
Do you struggle with believing that God is with you or is that an easy thing for you to believe?
What have you been afraid of? And how can you be strong and courageous in that area today?
Is God asking obedience in a certain area of your life?

Live for HIM! Be strong and courageous. Have the confidence to live what you believe! The obedience to God will bring blessings and success into your life. Surrender to God so that He can accomplish what He has started in you!



 

media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...