Monday, July 16, 2012

Surrender, Obedience and Discipline

I've mentioned that I am doing a Bible study with some friends this summer. I've lead one for the past few years because I like doing Bible studies and they all quit during the summer... So I pick a study I want to do and invite all my friends to join me.

We are doing Becoming a Woman of Excellence by Cynthia Heald.

The last three chapters we did have certainly challenged me to live more for Christ and less for me. I have some work to do and I need to continuously remind myself to work on those things... because what's the point of doing a Bible study if you aren't going to be different at the end of it?

So what were those three chapters about?


1. Surrender
  • Renouncing self as the center of our life and actions. Not always an easy thing to do! But necessary to follow God and love him with all my heart, soul, mind and strength.
  • To surrender is to die to self... give up, relinquish, yield, let go, abandon, submit, give up my rights.
  • God wants unconditional surrender.
  • When we surrender we move from being self-centered to Christ-centered.
  • Galatians 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ, and I myself no longer live, but Christ is living in me; the life I now live as a mortal man I live by faith in the Son of God who loved me and gave himself for me.

(See why I have things I need to work on!?!?! Unconditional surrender... YIKES! Not quite there yet.)


2. Obedience
  • Obedience is submission, habitually yielding to authority. God longs for voluntary submission.
  • I know a lot of people freak out at the word "submission" but I love how Lisa Bevere broke it down... "sub" means under so basically to submit is to come under the same mission. That doesn't sound so scary.
  • Obedience is not always easy but I am learning to say yes to God no matter what. Whether or not I understand. Whether or not I want to. I choose to obey and in doing that I am changing and becoming more like Christ.
  • John 15:14 Jesus has said: "And you are my friends if you obey me."
  • "The very best proof of your love for your Lord is obedience... nothing more, nothing less, nothing else." ~Charles R. Swindoll

3. Discipline
  • I'm still working through this chapter but what I am mainly taking from it so far is that we need to have self-discipline in every area of our lives. We need to have discipline over our emotions, will and mind. We need to be able to remember what the truth is in every situation. God won't give us good habits... we have to work for them. If I want to have self-discipline in any area of my life then I am going to have to train myself and practice discipline.

Again, this is such a great study! Cynthia Heald has a whole series of "Becoming a Woman of..." studies. This is the third one I have done and I find that they are great to do with a group of women of any age!

What are you learning lately?



media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...