Thursday, July 26, 2012

"That" School

When I started looking for a house I was surprised that the first question most people asked was "what school are you looking at?" Hmmm... hadn't thought of that because I thought I was looking for a house, not a school?

It got me thinking though and I realized that the school wasn't an issue for us. We were being called by God to a certain place and we were willing to follow wherever that was. I have also had great peace about sending my kids to whatever school area we end up in. But time and time again I would hear things along the lines of "just don't go to that school."

Then we found the house! And when people started learning where it was at I would get asked things like "Oh... so are you going to homeschool the kids?" And I thought why on earth would I do that? We'll be living right across the road from the school. The school playground is practically our front yard and it's only 100 yards to the school's front door."

Truth... I have not been called to homeschool. I have nothing against homeschooling and I think it's awesome but it is not for me.

Because I would not be homeschooling I ended up with a lot of well meaning people telling me all the reasons that I shouldn't want to send my kids to that school.

Those kids go there.
Those kids are just wild and out of control.
The education just isn't as good.
There isn't a lot of parental or community support.
Kids from that school just don't shine when they get to the intermediate school.

And really... it just went on and on and on. But let me share what's up...

God has put such a love for that area in my heart without even knowing anyone there yet. He has called us to that neighborhood, that school, that community to make a difference! God's grace, favor and protection is where He calls us. His grace for my kids is in that school with those kids. We could choose to be disobedient to God and go to one of the schools that everyone suggests we go to but the truth is that we would be out of God's will and we would not be where His grace for us is. The truth is that we could go to those super amazing schools and have the worst experiences ever.

I will choose to go where God calls. He is looking for His people that are willing to go where no one else wants to go.

Our family will be a part of that school.

Please don't feel sorry for Liza and Jason. I can look to the past 5 1/2 years of parenting and see how God has prepared us for this. All the wisdom He has given me in raising my kids. All the ideas that we instill in them daily... God had those things on my mind for a reason... for a purpose... so that Liza and Jason would be prepared to shine in the darkness.

Because those kids need Jesus too and my kids are going to spread His truth and His love wherever they go.

Don't waste your time worrying about us. If you start to worry then please turn it into a prayer. We have not made this decision without loads of thought and prayer. But honestly, I simply can not ignore what is in my heart. If you still think that I am crazy then just consider us missionaries. I mean, missionaries go to CRAZY places and we all sit here excited for them as they set off on their journey. We cover them in prayer, anxiously await updates of all that God is doing through their ministry and we would never in a million years try to talk them out of doing what God has called them to... no matter how risky the situation.

Treat my family the same. We are called to be missionaries in our new neighborhood and school. We are called to shine like stars in the darkness. We are called to spread the love and truth of Jesus Christ. Be excited for us! Pray for us! Partner with us!

But please don't try to tell me why I should not follow God.
I appreciate your concern but I am not concerned.


2 Timothy 1:7
For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.

Psalm 55:22
Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall.

1 Peter 5:7
Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

 Matthew 28:19-20
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.

Jeremiah 1:9
Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.


I'm off to register Liza for kindergarten at that school. :)


IMG_9007 1



media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...