Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Let's Fight Back!

Yesterday I wrote about how my heart was heavy... burdened with so much blah in this world. Abortion. Sex trafficking. Humans treating other humans as if they were nothing, of no value or worth.

I found myself asking... can I really make a difference?

Some conversation got started on my Facebook page because of this... good discussion. (Feel free to add me on FB.) A friend said that she too was burdened with the same things and told me she was there for me if I needed to talk.

I love that I have a friend like that! But I told her that I didn't think talking was the answer for me... instead, I needed to DO something this time.

Here's the thing...

How often do we see someone doing something and say "I just love what you are doing!" We think it's so great that SOMEONE ELSE is doing it. People have said that about me and moving downtown... I love what you are doing down there Laura. Great. Wonderful. I'm glad you love it... I hope you love it so much that you are deciding to do similar things in your own neighborhoods!

How many times have I said "I love what you are doing" and then went home to my safe little sheltered world?

I don't want to be like that anymore. No. I want to be the girl who says "I love what you are doing! How do I get involved?"

And that is the question I find myself asking over and over. How do I get involved? How do I help these hurting people? How can I offer them hope?

I'm in the process of finding answers to those questions.

And I absolutely love how God was so present in my life today as my heart cried out for those that are hurting. Of all the gazillion movies my kids could have chose to watch today they picked Robots. Super cute movie with great messages.

Over and over I heard the phrase "see a need, fill a need." I know that these are things I am supposed to be involved in. I see a need... now I will fill the need.

My favorite part of the movie today (because it's always different depending on what is going on in my heart) is toward the end. Rodney had gone to Robot City but he didn't find there what he had hoped to find. He is feeling quite defeated and about to board a train and head back home when he realizes there is more work to be done. His friends are giving up and ready to board the train with him when he has a change of heart...

Rodney: Hey, wait a minute! You're all giving up?
Fender: You started it.
Rodney: Well I'm ending it! My mistake was hoping that Bigweld would fight our battles. Well he won't. It's up to us. If we don't do something about Ratchet no one will. C'mon! Let's fight back!

So there you go... wise words from a kid movie. Insert your own situations...

"My mistake was hoping that government would fight our battles. Well it won't. It's up to us. If we don't do something about sex trafficking no one will. C'mon! Let's fight back!"

"My mistake was hoping that someone else would fight our battles. Well they won't. It's up to us. If we don't do something about abortion no one will. C'mon! Let's fight back!"

"My mistake was hoping that ________________ would fight our battles. Well they won't. It's up to ME. If I don't do something about ________________ then who will? C'mon! Join me! Let's fight back!"

What need are you aware of that you are ready to fill?



media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...