Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving...

...the day where we proclaim our thankfulness...

for things like our family, home, health, friends, cars, stuff stuff stuff... usually.

I've been sitting here trying to think about what I might say I am thankful for and it was all feeling really shallow. (Not saying YOU are shallow... just my feelings about myself today.) I can sit here and say I'm thankful for my family, friends, home and health. But then I get to thinking...

If I was truly truly 100% thankful for my home would I still be complaining about those smelly kitchen cupboards? Sure, they are a problem... but either I'm thankful for my home (the entire thing) or I'm not. Saying I'm thankful for my home and then saying I can't stand the smelly kitchen cupboards just doesn't work for me. It's a shallow thankfulness. It's a thankfulness that is only thankful when everything is perfect.

So today I am forced to look deep within myself and ask "Am I TRULY thankful today?"

Because, in all honesty, it's hard to be thankful in moments like this...

IMG_1776 copy

Yep... we decided we were doing Thanksgiving at home. We brought down a gazillion blankets and pillows so we could watch the parade and movies all day and snuggle while the food cooked. I thought it would be fun to get a photo of it... Jason was fine with it until it was time to snap the photo.

He can be really good at dropping my thankfulness meter a few notches.

So... I guess I am left with the questions...

What am I truly truly truly thankful for?
Will it be all thankfulness today and then back to grumbling and complaining tomorrow?
If I only express thankfulness on a day (or month) when it is prompted... what does that say about my thankfulness?

Be joyful ALWAYS; pray continually; GIVE THANKS IN ALL CIRCUMSTANCES, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18)

I guess the real reason I am probably thinking all these things today is because I woke up and read a true story of thankfulness. It's the best Thanksgiving story I've heard in a long time. Remember the baby I recently took photos of? The one who was born with only half of a functioning heart? His mom wrote the most beautiful account of the past year... all they've been through and the power of faith and prayer. They truly have much to be thankful for.

The story begins like this...

November 22, 2011 – A day that Travis and I will never forget! We left our house with a pink and blue onesie for an early morning 20 week ultrasound at the doctors’ office. Our house was filled with pink and blue for our gender reveal party where we would announce the gender of our little “Lew”. As first time mommy and daddy, we sat at the doctors’ office with giddy grins as we watched our little baby moving about on the screen. We couldn’t wait to find out if it was a he or a she. The farthest thing from our mind was that there could be a problem. Yes, we obviously realized that there could be something minor wrong, but never knew that the “problem” could potentially take his life and change ours forever!

If you want the rest of the story you can find it on Cael's Crusaders facebook page. It's worth taking the time to read the rest of the story that started one year ago today. (READ THE REST OF THE STORY HERE.)

So... with all that I wish you and your family a wonderful Thanksgiving day. May we all find a depth of thankfulness that stays around in all circumstances and not just the perfect times. May we all be thankful not just today but every single day.







media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...