Friday, February 22, 2013

Read It




Why do I read my Bible?

Why wouldn't I!?!

John 14:15 says, "If you love me you will obey my commands."

And guess what... I love God. :) As if you didn't know. I really really DO love God. And when you love God Christianity is no longer about rules to follow... it's about relationship. And just as I hope that my kids will understand that I have boundaries in place for them because I LOVE THEM, I've come to realize that God works the same with me.

I love God... so I will obey his commands.

BUT...

How do I know his commands if I do not KNOW HIM!?

I read my Bible... not because I HAVE to... because I don't have to. No one is putting a gun to my head and forcing me to do it. I read it because I WANT to... because I want to know Him. I want to know the one I love.

Many profess love for Christ but then refuse to open their Bible. I'm not saying I read mine everyday or for hours at a time... because I don't. But I do read it because it is black and white right there on the pages... If I love God I will obey him. I love him... so I want to know him. I want to know how to live in a way that pleases him. I want to spend time with him. And so I read.

And then I obey... whether I understand why he says to live a certain way or not. Whether I want to or not. I obey... because I love him. I don't get to pick and choose what to follow and what to ignore. It's all or none... because God gave it all for me on the cross.

Do I miss the mark sometimes? Absolutely. But I confess and keep on going. Because that is what you do when you are in a relationship with someone you love.

Read it. Live it... because you love HIM.


Do you read your Bible? Why or why not?



media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...