Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Love Must Be Sincere

I'm still working on memorizing scripture this year. I've pretty much hung with the same verse all of March.

Romans 12:9-10
Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves.

I've struggled memorizing these two verses because my head just keep repeating like a broken record...

Love must be sincere.
Love must be sincere.
Love must be sincere.

(My kids aren't going to understand the phrase "broken record". Weird. Sorry... back to the post...)

Love must be sincere.

What would sincere love look like?

Sincere
-free of deceit, hypocrisy or falseness
-pure; unmixed; unadulterated

Unadulterated means not diluted or made impure by adulterating.
Adulterate means to debase or make impure by adding inferior materials or elements. Impure.

Love must be sincere. Love must contain no deceit. Check your motives. Sincere love has no falseness to it. It's pure.

So I find myself asking questions...

Why do I love the people I love?
Do I love because I want to be loved in return?
Do I love but only partially while pretending to love fully?
Is the love I give sincere?
Is it pure?

I know that I will not always have a perfect love. I think I'd have to be super human to get to a place where my love was always perfect. But I can always work toward purifying my love for others more and more.

I can always work at becoming more like my Savior who's love IS and always has been pure and selfless.

Love must be sincere.




media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...