Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Hormone Imbalance

I'm not sure how long ago it was... a year and a half ago? I got to a point where I was just tired of being tired all. the. time. So I went to the doctor and told him to run some tests. I wanted to know WHY I was tired and blah all the time.

All the tests he ran came back normal and he told me that he thought I was just depressed and if I wanted he would write me a prescription and I'd be feeling better in no time at all. While I have no problems with people treating depression with prescriptions I did not have peace about going that route. I didn't feel that depression was the root... I was certain it was a result of something else. I just had no idea what that something else was.

Somewhere before seeing the doctor I knew that I also had the world's worst pms. (Yes guys... I'm going to talk about that. But if you are married and have a wife with really bad pms you might want to stick around.) I had asked my gyn what I can do about that and the answer was "eat good and exercise"... both things I had been doing and they weren't helping.

I thought I was forever stuck with the insane 2 1/2 weeks of pms every month AND tiredness and depression.

I started realizing though that everything seemed to happen between ovulation and the start of my period.
Severe headaches
Extreme fatigue
Off the chart mood swings
Out of control food cravings
Depression
Anxiety
Insecurity

I'd have two weeks where I didn't experience those things and then two weeks where I did. I just assumed that I was doomed to a life where two weeks out of every cycle would be miserable. I started trying to communicate with Mike what was going on. It would sound something like this...

"I'M SOOO MAD AT YOU RIGHT NOW AND I KNOW IT IS STUPID FOR ME TO BE THIS MAD AT YOU ABOUT THAT BUT I CAN'T HELP IT. I CAN'T STOP IT. I'M SO ANGRY. BUT IT'S NOT YOU. IT'S ME. IT'S PMS. I'M OUT OF CONTROL AND I KNOW IT BUT I'M JUST SOOOO MAD AT YOU RIGHT NOW AND I CAN'T STOP IT!!!"

Pretty ridiculous really. But I was so aware that I was being ridiculously mad over something that I shouldn't be so mad about but I felt helpless to do anything about it.

And then the ladies in my Bible study group mentioned Pharmacist Jeff. They were talking about how he helped them with different hormone problems and I was all "WAIT! Hold up. Can this guy help me with my insane pms? Because I have the world's worst pms." They told me to go see him and for the first time in a long time I had hope that there might be a name for my problem and there just might be a way to fix it!

I finally took the half hour drive and showed up at the pharmacy. There was a receptionist who asked if she could help me. I said "Ummm... I'm told there is a pharmacist named Jeff here who might be able to help me. Am I in the right place?" I was and I explained to her what I needed help with. She went and got P. Jeff and as we talked I became more and more certain that I had found my problem.

P. Jeff would say something and I would think "Oh my gosh! Someone understands what is going on with me!" Things like...

"You often feel like you live in a fog and have a hard time consentrating."
"These things are seem cyclical."
And the one that had me shouting "Yes! YES! That's me!" was
"You often get really upset over things and realize that the extreme emotion doesn't at all match the trigger."

Oh, you guys! You have no idea how much hope grew within me during those seven minutes of talking to Pharmacist Jeff! He specializes in hormone issues and I am beyond certain that many of my problems come from hormone imbalance. I left the pharmacy with a natural progesterone cream and instructions on how to use it. (Do not use a synthetic progesterone cream ever! Synthetic ones will give you cancer.) I also grabbed some brochures to read about hormone imbalance. One said "The symptoms of hormonal shifts occurring in our bodies can be very strong and can even make you feel out of control at times."

I often felt out of control.

I've been through two cycles now with my wonderful progesterone cream that I am certain was made in heaven by the hands of angels. Pharmacist Jeff is my hero and I find myself walking around thinking "who am I!?" This stuff has changed my life!

What do I do?
For a week after I ovulate I use the cream once a day. For the second week I use it twice a day. Then I don't use it until I ovulate again in the next cycle.

What has it done for me?
My mood swings are so much more level.
I didn't get headaches.
The foggy brain went away and I could fully function.
The fatigue never came.
I didn't get depression, anxiety and insecurity!

And my favorite change is that my sugar cravings have completely gone away!!! So many people have told me that I just need to practice moderation but I couldn't. If I ate any sugar at all I HAD to have more. It was bad. But then I started using progesterone and I had dessert one night and I was ok with just having that one thing. I didn't NEED more. I didn't have to run out to the store the next morning or raid the cupboards for leftover candy that the kids got at the last holiday. I had dessert and was done. A-MAAAAZZZING!

Hormone imbalance... the answer to so many of my problems. Why did I not hear about this sooner!? Have you heard about it? Or is this a new thing for you too?


 If you want to know more you can visit the my pharmacy's website and read more about Pharmacist Jeff and hormone imbalance. There is lots of information. www.evanscitypharmacy.com. I'd also be happy to answer questions you have... if I know the answer. :)


media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...