Wednesday, May 15, 2013

I Hate That Song

I know that title can be a strong way to start a post but... If you listen to Christian radio you probably heard the song I'm about to talk about. I hate it because it's not the truth and I hate that it is so catchy that I often don't realize I'm singing along until halfway through the song! And I hate how easily it gets stuck in my head!

What song am I talking about??

He Said by Group 1 Crew.

I LOVE Group 1 Crew... just not this one song of theirs. And here is why...

Here is the first verse and the chorus of the song...
So your life feels like it don't make sense
And you think to yourself, "I'm a good person,
So why do these things keep happening? "
Why you gotta deal with them
You may be knocked down now, but don't forget
What He said, He said

"I won't give you more
More than you can take
And I might let you bend
But I won't let you break
And know, I'll never, ever let you go"
Don't you forget what He said
Don't forget what He said, He said
What bothers me is that God never said that he wouldn't give me more than I can take. And when I'm going through hard times... like right now... something like that doesn't help me. Christians say things like "God won't give you more than handle so this just means you are really strong and he knows you can handle it."

What?
If that's so then I don't want to be strong! I want to be super weak so I can have an easy life with not as many troubles! The idea of God not giving me more than I can take also doesn't make me want to run to God when things get tough... because that means that God is GIVING me those super bad, horrible, awful things.

Yes there will be trouble in this world.
Yes this life will be hard.
Yes there will be persecution, sickness, death, daily struggles, hurt and pain.

But God didn't say he wouldn't give me more than I can take. The song has a lot of good stuff in it but that line right there is a lie.

Jesus came so that I could have life, abundant life.
Satan comes to steal, kill and destroy. (John 10:10)
And there is a constant battle for my soul and my life.

War is never pretty or easy.
But God never said he wouldn't give me more than I can take.

Instead...

He says come to me all who are weary and I will give you rest. Take my yoke. My burden is light. (Matt 11:28-30)
He tells us to build on a solid foundation so that the storms won't ruin us. (Luke 6:48)
He lets us know that he will never leave us nor forsake us.(Deut 31:8)

God is our strength.
Our hope.
Our peace.
Comforter.

When I get to the place where I have had more than I can take... that's when I realize how desperately I need my God. If I never got to that place of having more than I can take I might think that I can do this life alone... without him. And let's face it... I think we've all been in that place where we find ourselves at the bottom of the pit crying our face off and screaming "STOP IT! JUST STOP! I CAN'T. TAKE. ANY. MORE!"

And at that point God is there saying "I know you can't take anymore. But I can."

I'm so thankful that when I can't take anymore I can turn to God.
I can cast all my cares on Him because He cares for me.
I run to his arms and find rest, shelter and healing.

Psalm 9:9
The Lord is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble.

A song about God not giving me more than I can take is a lie and offers me no comfort.

I know I've shared the following song before but I think it is a much better message of God's relationship to us and what our response should be when we feel like we can't take anymore...




If today you find yourself in a place where you just can't take anymore know that God is there, He cares, and HE would be happy to help you with all your burdens. Run to his arms. The riches of his love will ALWAYS be enough.


media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...