Friday, October 11, 2013

I Believe What I Believe In

I have been known to be called opinionated. I missed out on an awesome opportunity in college because I asked a friend to fill out one of those personal references and she put that my weakness was that I was opinionated. When I was told why I didn't get accepted it was because of that. That is the first time that I remember being called opinionated and it certainly hasn't been the last.

If you look up the word opinionated you will find that it uses the word obstinate.
Obstinate means:
*firmly or stubbornly adhering to one's purpose, opinion, etc.; not yielding to argument, persuasion or entreaty
*not easily controlled or overcome

Am I obstinate?
No doubt.

Am I opinionated?
Well... let's look at the definition of opinion...
*a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty
*a personal view or attitude

Here's the thing... my "opinions" are formed out of my beliefs. And actually... I'll even go a little farther and say that my BELIEFS might look like opinions to others and I have been called opinionated because I actually BELIEVE WHAT I BELIEVE IN and am not easily swayed away from my beliefs... because I BELIEVE them!!

The definition of belief is an opinion or conviction.
Conviction is a fixed or firm belief.

I would hope that none of us would be easily swayed from our convictions. Yes... be open to hearing others ideas and beliefs but don't just jump ship because someone believes something different. It's ok to seek proof.

 101_3485-001

While at Women of Faith, Third Day sang the song Creed and the chorus goes like this...

I believe what I believe in
is what makes me who I am.
And I did not make it,
no, it is making me
It is the very truth of God and
not the invention of any man.

Two things...
1. Beliefs need to be based on truth... the Word of God. And if someone wants to call me opinionated because of what I believe... then let them call me opinionated. :)
2. What we believe will make us who we are are. We all believe something and that will have great impact on who we are.

Check your heart and see what it is that you are truly believing. Are you believing God? Others? Lies? Truth? We need to get our beliefs lined up with the Word of God and then let them become convictions... fixed and firm beliefs that make us the men and women that God designed us to be!






media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...