Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Snow Rollers

Snow Roller: a rare meteorological phenomenon in which large snowballs are formed naturally as chunks of snow are blown along the ground by wind, picking up material along the way, in much the same way that the large snowballs used in snowmen are made.

Three conditions need to be present for these snow rollers to happen...
 *The ground must be covered by a layer of ice to which snow will not stick.
 *The layer of ice must be covered by wet, loose snow with a temperature near the melting point of ice.
 *The wind must be strong enough to move the snow rollers, but not strong enough to blow them apart.
(Info from wikipedia.)

We have snow rollers all over the place but today is the first time I have actually been able to see them. I guess you have to drive out of "the city" to where there are some open spaces and we did that today. We had to drive out to Mike's parents to get something and we saw plenty of snow rollers on the way. There is a field full of them by my in-law's house so we got out to explore.

We were completely frozen within five minutes of being outside but it was a fun little adventure and I'm glad we took the time to freeze and check out these rare snow rollers. I'm 34 and I have never seen them before. Who knows if we'll ever see them again!

 005

 003

 007

 002

 008

 006

 009

 011


Winter is an absolutely beautiful time of year that is full of surprises. It's things like this that remind me of how creative my God is.

media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...