Monday, January 27, 2014

Whole30 - Day 31

I made it!
30 days on the Whole30 plan.
No grains. No dairy. No sugar.
Just meat, veggies, fruit, eggs and nuts.

Was it hard?
No. Not really. It took a little more thought but it actually wasn't hard at all.

In fact, I'm pretty sure I'm going to stick close to the Whole30 eating plan. Not quite as strict but definitely close to it.

Today is day 31. I'm sitting at Panera Bread and just enjoyed a four cheese souffle for breakfast. I really needed something other than plain eggs. That does get old after a while. And cheese makes everything better. But that's my only planned splurge for the day. I'll eat Whole30 for lunch and dinner.

So... what did I learn in the past 30 days?

I like eating well. I feel better when I do. I found myself sleeping better. I didn't crave sugar and breads like I ALWAYS do. If I eat a good breakfast it sets me up to be successful for the rest of the day. A good breakfast keeps me full till lunch... which means no snacking. And a good lunch will keep me full until dinner. Three meals is enough when I do them right.

I also noticed that my moods during PMS were much more stable. (If you don't remember... I have the world's worst PMS and I have been working on sorting that out for the past year.) Oh... and during PMS I didn't crave chocolate... at all! That in itself is a miracle. I felt like I didn't even know myself anymore!

What else? My body responds well to eating healthy. I'm uhhh... much more regular. No more constipation... which is often a problem for me. I know... you guys REALLY want to know this stuff but I'm going to talk about it because maybe this is the one thing that will make someone else consider giving the Whole30 plan a try to see if it can help them.

I also lost ten pounds!!! In thirty days! And it was EASY to lose it! I didn't even exercise. Not once. In fact, I probably sat around more than normal. I spent days on the couch doing nothing but watching movies and working on crochet orders and editing pictures. All I did was change up my eating (drastically) and I lost ten pounds! No special drinks or pills or expensive weight loss plans. Just eating real food and nothing else. It felt good yesterday to be able to put on my skinny jeans that I haven't worn in a year. They just fit better with my winter boots.

That alone has convinced me to keep going. I have more weight to lose. I'll likely have to work a bit harder at the next ten but I know it's possible.

Some other (not so important) changes...
*I went from never using salt and pepper on my food to almost always using it. After a while the eggs needed some more flavor and I couldn't use ketchup or cheese... so salt and pepper had to do. Speaking of eggs... I have become a master at cooking them just how I like them. 30 days straight of eggs will do that for ya.
*When mustard is the only Whole30 compliant condiment in your fridge you will learn to like it. I now like mustard.
*I love nuts! Almonds and pistachios being favorites.
*Peppers and onions!! I used to never eat peppers and onions. The past few years I started adding them when a recipe called for peppers or onions but I didn't really like them. Now my favorite side is a whole lot of peppers and onions and mushrooms cooked up together. And I'll even eat peppers raw. Good food!
*When on a good eating plan emotional eating doesn't work. A chunk of chicken or a salad just doesn't do it. I did not emotional eat for the past 30 days. (Another miracle!)

So what's my plan from here?
My plan is to not sabotage the progress made. I know that if I eat cookies and ice cream today that I will want it again tomorrow. So I won't allow that splurge. I found that I can have control over food. I will plan my splurges and limit them greatly. I won't eat the sweets if I didn't plan it. (That means no emotional eating. Planning means things like "I'll go to Pennie's Bakeshop on Friday morning and have a cinnamon role with my friends. And then I won't do it again for at least a week.)

I want to continue not snacking and eating three healthy meals a day.

I want to slowly add some things back in and pay attention to how different foods affect my body. What constipates me? What doesn't fill me up? What makes me feel bloated? (I can tell you right now the answer to that is bread.) What gives me headaches? I want to better understand my body's relationship to food.

I am SO GLAD that I did the Whole30! It was a really good experience for me and it has set me on the right road to healthy eating. It has shown me that I CAN do it and I will feel great when I do.

SO... I'm not doing the Whole30 completely anymore but here's to another 30 days of healthy eating!!

Find info on the Whole30 HERE.

What are your thoughts on the Whole 30?
Have you done it?
Are you thinking about doing it?
If you have any questions please ask! I'd love to talk with you more about this!





media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...