Saturday, January 11, 2014

Whole30 - Halfway

I think it was back in October when my friend did the Whole30 and the more she talked about it the more I knew it was something I wanted to do. However, I didn't decide I would do it until November and then I figured that the holiday season was a great time to set myself up for failure. Plus, I was going to my mom's house twice and I wouldn't ask her to cook differently just for me. I also knew that with all the gatherings and goodies that I would never be able to get Mike to do it with me.

So... I told Mike about it and asked him if he would do it with me if I waited until January. He said he would. On December 27th I decided I couldn't wait any longer. I was ready. So on December 28th I woke up, went shopping and have been doing the Whole30 since. Mike joined me on January 1st. This wasn't a New Year's Resolution or anything... just something I wanted and needed to do and the timing worked out to do it now.

What is the Whole30?
My understanding is that it's like a "reset button" for the body. It's about getting it back to it's natural balance. And it's something you do for 30 days at a time.

What can I eat?
"Eat meat, seafood, eggs, tons of vegetables, some fruit and plenty of good fats from fruits, oils, nuts and seeds. Eat foods with very few ingredients, all pronounceable ingredients, or better yet, no ingredients listed at all because they are totally natural and unprocessed."

So basically... meat, fruit, veggies, eggs and nuts. I can not eat sugar, grains, dairy, junk food, MSG, artificial seasonings.

How's it going?
Today is day 15 and I'm doing alright. I have not cheated and don't plan to. I can tell I've lost some weight because my clothes are fitting better but I have no idea how much I've lost because they recommend putting the scale away for the 30 days. I'll step on it at the end. The reason they suggest staying off the scale is so that it doesn't become just about weight loss and cause you to miss all the other changes and benefits.

So I've definitely lost weight and am wearing clothes I didn't dare put on two weeks ago. My body isn't all bloated like it was... But there is more... my moods seem more stable, my cravings diminish more and more every day and I am sleeping so much better!

The three weeks before I started Whole30 I wasn't sleeping well at all. It makes sense though because I was eating sooo much junk. Once I stopped eating the junk I started having great nights of sleep! That alone is worth it!

The hardest part for me is coming up with meals. It takes a little more thinking because I'm a pretty boring cook... but the food has been good and we are finding that we are staying full longer and not needing to snack.

My favorite meal is one I thought up and threw together... spaghetti squash with meat sauce (had to just use a tomato sauce and add seasoning... soooo good like that!) with green, red and orange pepper. Just cook it all up and pile it on a plate. Delicious!

I'm definitely tired of eggs for breakfast and when this is up I might not want to eat them again for a year.

I miss cheese! Of all the things I can't eat right now cheese is what I miss most. It will likely be the first thing I add back in when this is over.

So that's what I've been up to... Whole30, healthy eating, resetting my body. I'm glad I chose to do it! And I plan to keep up many of these much better eating habits. A funny part of this for me has been the dreams. I mentioned that I have not cheated but I do cheat in my dreams. :) In one I had a lollypop and in another I had bread. I always feel so guilty when I wake up until I realize it was just a dream. The funniest dream was last night...

I was at a picnic and someone had Sixlets. I looove Sixlets. Anyways... there are times in a girl's life when chocolate is absolutely necessary and in the dream it was apparently one of those times and I just couldn't say no to the chocolate. So I had a little bit. Then an old friend showed up and she brought these amazing cookies and I knew she would be upset if I didn't have any so I decided to cheat on the Whole30. I broke a few pieces off of each to try them. I was feeling kind of bad for cheating until I looked over and saw my sister, who in the dream was doing Whole30 as well, and she had a huge stack of cookies she was going to eat. That's when dream me started feeling better about cheating and said to my dream self... "I'm alright because I'm just cheating. I'll get back on track tomorrow. But her? She's not cheating... she's quitting!"

Seriously... I dream about cheating on the Whole30... often!

Anyways... I've got 15 more days to go. If you want to learn more about what the Whole30 is and why it's a good plan you can read all about it buy clicking HERE.



Eat meat, seafood, eggs, tons of vegetables, some fruit, and plenty of good fats from fruits, oils, nuts and seeds. Eat foods with very few ingredients, all pronounceable ingredients, or better yet, no ingredients listed at all because they’re totally natural and unprocessed. Don’t worry… these guidelines are outlined in extensive detail in our free shopping list. - See more at: http://whole30.com/step-two/#sthash.UFp6NeLO.dpuf
Eat meat, seafood, eggs, tons of vegetables, some fruit, and plenty of good fats from fruits, oils, nuts and seeds. Eat foods with very few ingredients, all pronounceable ingredients, or better yet, no ingredients listed at all because they’re totally natural and unprocessed. Don’t worry… these guidelines are outlined in extensive detail in our free shopping list. - See more at: http://whole30.com/step-two/#sthash.UFp6NeLO.dpuf
Eat meat, seafood, eggs, tons of vegetables, some fruit, and plenty of good fats from fruits, oils, nuts and seeds. Eat foods with very few ingredients, all pronounceable ingredients, or better yet, no ingredients listed at all because they’re totally natural and unprocessed. Don’t worry… these guidelines are outlined in extensive detail in our free shopping list. - See more at: http://whole30.com/step-two/#sthash.UFp6NeLO.dpuf
Eat meat, seafood, eggs, tons of vegetables, some fruit, and plenty of good fats from fruits, oils, nuts and seeds. Eat foods with very few ingredients, all pronounceable ingredients, or better yet, no ingredients listed at all because they’re totally natural and unprocessed. Don’t worry… these guidelines are outlined in extensive detail in our free shopping list. - See more at: http://whole30.com/step-two/#sthash.UFp6NeLO.dpuf

media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...