Monday, February 10, 2014

Book Before Movie - Part 1

Early in January my library posted a link to facebook that caught my attention. It was 16 Books to Read Before They Hit Theaters This Year. I checked it out and decided that I was going to read every book on the list before seeing the movie, as long as I could get the book for free. Apparently, several other people had the same idea because I am on the wait list for five of the books right now. But, I was able to get some of them and get started with reading.


1. A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby

This is a story about four strangers who meet on New Year's Eve because they all end up at the same spot... the roof of Toppers, which is famous for being life's last stop for many. They all had planned on jumping that night but in a series of strange events, they make a pact to give life a few more weeks and then meet up again to decide if they still want to jump.

The story was good. I enjoyed the characters. It kept me reading. And even though it was about four people who wanted to commit suicide, it was surprisingly full of life. What I didn't like was how much cussing was used in the book. It was overdone and for me, it took away from the story. There were several times where I almost just quit reading the book because of the language. I didn't feel that all the cussing was necessary and if this is how the author always writes, I will probably never pick up another one of his books.


2. Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin

I didn't finish this book. I was about 100 pages in and it was due back to the library. When I went to renew it I was told I couldn't because someone else was waiting for it. I wasn't interested in paying a quarter a day to keep reading this 700 page book. It hadn't hooked me by page 100 so it was easy to quit. At times it was interesting but then there were the moments that had me wondering if the author was a total pervert. I'm ok with not reading the rest of this book.


3. The Maze Runner by James Dashner

This is a young adult novel and very Hunger Games -ish. But I enjoyed it. It was a quick read that always left me wondering what the outcome would be. And when I got to the end... I ended up getting book number 2 of the series from the library.


I'm currently reading another book from the list and I have a feeling it will be my favorite out of all 16. I can't wait to tell you all about it and hopefully convince you to pick up a copy and read it too!


media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...