Monday, February 17, 2014

Book Before Movie - Part 2

My fourth book from the list of 16 Books to Read Before They Hit Theaters is Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. She is the author of Seabiscut... which I have not read but now want to.

 009

Unbroken...
I don't even know where to start.

This book had me completely captivated from the preface! It's a true story that takes place during World War II and the man that the story centers around, Louie Zamperini, is an amazing character. I liked him from the beginning and found myself rooting for him even as they described him as a young boy who was always stealing and causing trouble.

Unbroken took me through a full range of emotions... There were moments that filled me with great joy and some that had my chest puffing up with American pride. Some moments had me on the edge of my seat, full of suspense and others had me feeling deep grief. I felt shock, anger and frustration... but I also, at times, felt peace.

I have never been one to enjoy history. (The facts and dates were always boring to me.) Unbroken, however, has me interested in learning more. All the pieces that were floating around in my brain as individual stories in history now fit together for me. The personal stories of men who lived and fought through World War II were just what I needed to become interested in this part of history. 

010

I couldn't put this book down! One night I read a few chapters before going to bed and I found myself unable to fall asleep because my head physically hurt as my brain tried to wrap itself around the fact that this was a TRUE story! I don't know how many times I said to Mike, "I can't believe this really happened!! How is this guy not dead!?"

If you are looking for a good book about courage, insane bravery and survival, resilience, victory and healing, then Unbroken is the book you are looking for!

Put Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand on your must read list and move it right to the top! You won't regret it!

media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...