Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Food Failure

A few weeks back I finished up the Whole30 and told you all about it. I also had a plan and that was to stick pretty close to the Whole30 way of eating. If I was going to splurge I was going to plan it.

I was doing really well with that but what I forgot to plan for was life. I forgot to plan for what to do about the emotional eating urges. And then life happened... don't even get me started on the $1500 car fix to have it pass inspection (still looking for second and third opinions or cheaper options) and the reminder that we no longer have our main source of income... along with several other gazillion little emotional things that pile up to become an emotional monster... and we have an emotional eating binge full of everything that is not Whole30... or even close to it.

Why do I share this with you?
I believe that if I am going to share my successes that I should also share my failures. It's easy to become disillusioned in this age of technology where everyone tweets their fantastic life and shares everything that is good. With all that going on it's easy to fool ourselves into believing that people are superhuman and have perfect lives.

When I shared my success it was fun because several people were encouraged by it and some even began their own Whole30 journey. But the other day when I posted my total food failure on Facebook it was even more fun... because I connected with people in a completely different way. A few people joined the conversation about my success... many more jumped in when I discussed my failure?

Why is that?
My guess is that because they could relate. They too do really well and then they fail for a few days. They understand and humans are strange in that we like to find other people who have the same struggles in life that we do. Those people who can say "I understand, I've been there too." It's comforting.

So yeah... we'll just label last week a complete food failure. One day I only ate those little chocolate covered donuts (a favorite comfort food), chocolate covered pretzels, a few almonds and a smoothie. Yeah... that's about as far away from Whole30 and my plan as you can get.

The good news is that even with all the emotional binging the past few days I am still down another two pounds since ending the Whole30. That puts my total lost since December 28 at 12 pounds. I feel good. My clothes fit great! I'm happy with where I am.

Although... while cleaning in the attic a few days ago I came across an old journal. Right before I got pregnant with Liza I weighed in at 132 pounds. I'm wondering if that is possible to get to again. It's only 8 pounds away...

Perhaps that can be my motivator to end this emotional binging... at least for a while.

media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...