Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Book Before Movie ~ Part 4

Two  more books from the list of 16 books to read before they are out as movies this year...

Actually, both of these have already come out at the theater. If you have seen them I would be interested in hearing what you thought!


001

 Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

Vampires aren't really my thing but the book is on the list so I read it. It was ok. Very teenager gossipy love story. A good heroine. Good vs. evil. It's all there. And once the story got going I read it pretty quickly. Young adult books usually do go fast.

So yes... I did enjoy parts of the book but I definitely wasn't raving about it when I finished. And being a young adult book I was kind of put off by the swearing and sensuality. (Call me old fashioned if you want.) I'm thinking, depending on what all they decide to use from the book, that this might be one where I actually enjoy the movie more than the book... if I bother to see it.




002

Labor Day by Joyce Maynard

If you are into people falling in love with escaped convicts and/or being trapped inside the mind of a thirteen year old boy going through puberty then run to your local library and get this book!

Ugh. It had the potential to be a good love story (and I am sure that many think it is!) but I just kept thinking this lady is either REALLY desperate or totally off her rocker. And perhaps she WAS really desperate but the whole thing was just too weird for me. (I know, I know... it's a made up story!) It didn't help that the story is told from the perspective of a 13 year old boy going through puberty. The way the character fantasized about sex and described what was going on in his body made me feel like a dirty creep. I actually stopped reading the book and skimmed it to see how it ended.

I could have done without this book.


Here's to hoping that the next book I pick on the list is better! And not all about sex. Geez...


media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...