Sunday, March 16, 2014

Obedience

I was reading the story about Noah in the book of Genesis. "The Lord saw how great man's wickedness on the earth had become, and that every inclination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil all the time." (6:5) God was grieved and his heart filled with pain. He decided to wipe out mankind from the earth.

But there was Noah and Noah was a righteous man. Blameless among the people. He walked with God.

God decided he would save Noah and his family. He commanded Noah to build an ark. He gave him specific instructions for how big to make it, how to seal it, where to put the door. He instructed Noah to bring in the animals and to take food onto the ark and store it away as food for himself and the animals.

And then comes a small verse that can be easy to miss. One that would be so easy to read without really reading... but not this time. This time it grabbed my heart and challenged me.

Genesis 6:22
Noah did everything just as God commanded him.

 IMG_2597 1

Everything.
Just as God commanded.

Noah didn't cut corners anywhere. He did EVERYTHING... just the way God told him to do it. He built his ark to the size God told him to. He sealed it up just like God told him to. He put the door where God told him to. He brought in the animals and the food... just like God told him to.

Noah did EVERYTHING.

JUST AS GOD COMMANDED.

So few words... so much meaning.

It left me asking myself if my obedience to God looks like Noah's. Do I do everything just as God commands? Or do I do it 90% how God commands and 10% how I think it should be done? Do I trust God completely... to the point where I would take on a seemingly ridiculous task... like building an ark... and do it just as God commanded?

Is my obedience 100%?
How much do I trust God?

When God asks something of me and I do as he asks... at the end of it could it be said of me that "Laura did everything just as God commanded her"?

media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...