Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Book Before Movie ~ Part 6

I've been reading from the list of 16 books to read before they hit theaters this year. I simply search the title of one of the books at my library, pick it up and take it home and read it. I never really know what I am going to be reading because I haven't read any descriptions of the books... so every book is like a nice little surprise... well, at least the ones I like are a nice surprise. I go in with no expectations and I love when I come to the end and find that I have begun a series and need to read the books that follow!

That happened with The Maze Runner (preview for this looks GOOD!!) and again with Divergent (can't wait to see this one!!) and here I am again NEEDING to get the next book from the library.

I just finished The Giver by Lois Lowry.

 IMG_2932 1

I thought I had read it before. I know I have the book somewhere in my attic... but I didn't remember anything at all so maybe I didn't actually read it before. Anyways... I'm glad I read it now! The story takes place in a pretty much perfect world where Sameness is the goal. Total equality. Easy life. Nothing bad happens there. And then there is Jonas.

But you'll have to read the book yourself to find out why Jonas is so important to this community.

I love when a book makes me think about my beliefs, challenges thoughts that are so common and makes me dig deeper and decide how I feel about everything that gets stirred up when reading. The Giver did that for me. I've been telling Mike he needs to read it... my motives are selfish. I want to have conversations with him but I want him to really understand why I am having those conversations.

The Giver by Lois Lowry... young adult fiction and only 175 pages long. You definitely can find time for this book and it would be worth it!


PS... I just watched the trailer and it looks quite different from the book. It will be interesting to see how much they change the story for the movie. 

media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...