Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Living the Dream

It was a few years ago that I started hearing an interesting answer to a very common question. The question was... "How are you?"

The answer...

Living the dream.

It got me thinking... are they really living their dream?
What would it look like to be living my dream?

And then, this year, it happened.
I realized I was living my dream!

I was never one of those girls that grew up dreaming of getting married and what my wedding day would be like. I didn't dream about what my family would be like. I never had a five or ten year plan. Or a dream job in mind. But there is something I did want... I wanted to be the house in the neighborhood where all the kids hung out.

I got married and had a beautiful wedding day. I do have a wonderful and fun family that I enjoy so much. And I also got my dream! Two years ago we bought a house in a neighborhood that had a ton of kids. So many people tried to talk us out of it. So many said "don't move there!! It's not a good place to raise your kids." But we moved there. We met the people. We made tons of new friends.

And the kids started coming! And coming. And coming.

Just last week a lady walked by and this short conversation happened as I was walking to my car...

NEIGHBOR: Did that get turned into a daycare?
ME: Did what get turned into a daycare?
NEIGHBOR: That house.
ME: *pointing to my house* That one?
NEIGHBOR: Yeah... I always see all the kids there.
ME: Oh... no... that's just my house!

Dream come true. :)

I love visiting with the kids and hearing about their days. I like that they come to us for help with their bikes. I have no problem walking away from the dishes and cleaning to sit on my front porch and hang out with the kids. On hot days we leave a cooler of water outside so they can stop by for a drink. We pass out popsicles and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

And we have the opportunity to teach them... about forgiveness and getting along. About acceptance, boundaries and respect. About honoring their parents.

My life is far from perfect.
But I am living my dream!

 030



Note: All the kids that hang out at my house have great parents that are teaching them about life too!

media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...