Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Discipline

I have never been one to make New Year's Resolutions or have a "word of the year" but I have a feeling that without even realizing it DISCIPLINE will become my focus this year.

discipline

/ˈdɪsɪplɪn/
noun
1. training or conditions imposed for the improvement of physical powers, self-control, etc
 
Yesterday I shared about Financial Peace and quoted Dave Ramsey. He said,
 
I don't like discipline - but I love what discipline produces.  

I'm working on regaining some discipline in my finances but I have also set out on a journey to regain discipline when it comes to food. Just after Christmas I began the Whole30. I did it last year and had great results. I wish I would have stuck with it... or at least much closer to it than I did. Today is day 29 of my Whole30. 

The quick explanation of Whole30 is that it is a 30 day detox, reset. Get all the junk out of your body so that you can reintroduce some foods, find out what affects you negatively and come up with a good eating plan for life. 

I'm tired of being ruled by food.
I'm tired of always feeling gross and bloated.
I'm tired of my clothes not fitting.
I'm tired of being addicted. 

Tomorrow marks 30 days of fruits, veggies, nuts, meat and eggs. 
30 days of no sugar, no grains, no dairy, no legumes... no a lot of things. I miss some of those things... but not as much as I thought I would. I have learned to cook differently. I've had a great support group and Mike has been doing it with me (and doing most of the cooking!) and with the help of others, I have found a lot of recipes and haven't felt deprived. I have been eating a lot and eating well. I am full. 

Sometimes I think gosh, dessert would be great right now. But then I realize I only think that because that is an old habit. Change takes time. I need to reprogram my mind when it comes to food. Whole30 was a great step toward reprogramming my mind. 

This time... I don't want to give up the progress I have made. I want to keep going. Last time I did the Whole30 I was talking with my kids about it and how I should just keep going and Jason said something along the lines of
Yeah! You should just make it Whole LIFE!
He's right. Whole30 is a great start... but the goal is to use it to help you make a plan that you can carry out for your Whole Life.
 
I'll be spending the next two weeks reintroducing foods from the "no list" and paying attention to how I feel after eating those foods. I'm at a place where I am ready to give up foods I love in order to feel good. I'm ready to be in control of food instead of food being in control of me.
 
It will take discipline... and lots of it... but the results will be worth it!
 
 

media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...