Thursday, January 22, 2015

I Only Spent 2 Bucks On Laundry Detergent Last Year

And yes, I did wash  my clothes plenty!

A few years ago I had a friend share about making your own laundry detergent. After we bought our house and I had plenty of room to keep a five gallon bucket of laundry soap I figured I might as well give it a try and I've been making my own laundry detergent for about two years now.

The best part is that it is cheap and easy!

The first time I made it the cost was more because I had to buy all the ingredients and a bucket. But I just made my fourth batch of it and am still using those ingredients that I bought the first time. The only thing I had to purchase to make my two batches last year was a bar of Fels-Naptha soap each time. A batch of laundry detergent makes about ten gallons and lasts me at least 6 months.

Are you wondering how to make this laundry detergent???
I'll share the recipe that my friend gave me. I have no idea where it originated but I do know that it works!! (Found out that my friend who shared the detergent recipe with me learned about it from the Duggars.)



HOMEMADE LAUNDRY DETERGENT

4 Cups - hot tap water
1 Fels-Naptha soap bar*
1 Cup - Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda**
½ Cup Borax

Directions:
-Grate bar of soap and add to saucepan with water. Stir continually over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted.
-Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of hot tap water. Add melted soap, washing soda and Borax. Stir well until all powder is dissolved.
-Fill bucket to top with more hot water. Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken.
-Stir (I use a hand blender because it is thick and tough to do with just a spoon) and fill a used, clean, laundry soap dispenser (gallon jug works great!) half full with soap and then fill rest of way with water. Shake before each use. (will gel)

-Optional: You can add 10-15 drops of essential oil per 2 gallons. Add once soap has cooled. Ideas: lavender, rosemary, tea tree oil.
-Yield: Liquid soap recipe makes 10 gallons.
-Top Load Machine- 5/8 Cup per load (Approx. 180 loads) -Front Load Machines- ¼ Cup per load (Approx. 640 loads)




*Visit the Fels-Naptha website to find a store in your area that carries the product.
**Arm & Hammer "Super Washing Soda" - in some stores or may be purchased online at Meijer.com. Baking Soda will not work, nor will Arm & Hammer Detergent - It must be sodium carbonate!!


There ya go! Easy peasy!
Have you ever made your own laundry detergent?
Do you think you might give this a try?


media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...