Monday, February 2, 2015

Food Is Not My Friend

Last week I shared a little bit about my second round with Whole30... a 30 day eating plan to help detox and reset the body. The goal is to clear your body of all the junk and pay attention to changes that happen and then reintroduce foods that have been excluded from the 30 day diet one at a time to see how they impact your body.

I've reintroduced dairy and gluten so far.

On day 31 I started with dairy. I had yogurt for breakfast and by mid-morning I found myself overcome with complete exhaustion. Now, I want to retest this some day because I had also woke up that morning with a bit of a cold and I had been out grocery shopping when the fatigue hit... so I'm not sure if it was because of the dairy or a combination of things. But I can say without a doubt that the cheese stick I had for lunch was the cause of almost immediate bloating... and not just a little bit of bloating but a bloat that left my stomach feeling like it couldn't stretch any further without exploding. After dinner I had a small bowl of ice cream and while it didn't greatly mess with me, I did notice that my hips and knees were really achy. Achy joints apparently can be caused by dairy according to some friends.

Dairy is not my friend. I will be eliminating cheese from here on out and that means some big changes for me because I love cheese and want it on everything. But cheese is not good for me... and I CAN live without it.

On day 34 I reintroduced gluten grains. For breakfast I had a whole wheat bagel. It caused me to have phlegm and irritated my throat. For about a half hour after eating breakfast I found myself coughing and had also had a slight headache. Both of those symptoms were gone by lunchtime. For lunch I had a sandwich and shortly after eating it I found myself feeling extreme fatigue... I-just-have-to-close-my-eyes fatigue... and a slight headache. For dinner I had some whole wheat noodles and again got the headache and tiredness.

Gluten is also not my friend.


I remember saying to some friends during the Whole30 that I never really experienced the burst of energy that they say most people get while following the plan but I am now realizing that while I didn't have a huge burst of energy I was also not extremely exhausted all the time. (I am someone who is always tired.) I'm really starting to think that my chronic tiredness is, in part, food related. And I am finally at a place where I am ready to make real changes in order to feel good.

Yes it will take sacrifice because I LOVE bread almost as much as I LOVE cheese. Yes I am going to have to continue to learn how to cook food differently. Yes I am going to have to continue to battle old habits until new ones form. But I'm ready this time... and that can make all the difference.

And I guess I shouldn't say that all food is not my friend as the title suggests... food is my friend... as long as it is the right kind of food. :)



media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...