Monday, March 30, 2015

Working Mom

Before I had kids, I worked.

I worked at a nearby camp. During the summer I was the waterfront director (best summer camp job EVER!) and in the spring and fall I was working at the same camp teaching environmental education.

I actually went to college and have degrees in elementary and special education but I never used them. I felt like a school/classroom setting was just too confining for me. I'm thankful for people who work well in that situation but it wasn't what I wanted for myself. When I discovered environmental education I thought I had found the best job possible. I couldn't believe I was getting paid to take a group of kids that were on a field trip to a stream so that we could talk about a food web and look for critters.

Plus... it was seasonal. Work for the fall months and have the winter off. Work during the spring months and have the summer off. I was set!

And then I got pregnant with Liza and became a full-time stay-at-home mom. I LOVE being a stay-at-home mom. I'm really thankful that it was an easy choice for our family.

The years at home sometimes felt long. With two kids, only 17 months apart, I was busy enough. I was also always tired. I love being at home with the kids but I'm not going to lie... I looked forward to the year that they would both be in school all day. That year would be my well deserved break! I had dreams of doing NOTHING. Reading books. Taking walks. Watching movies. Meeting friends for a hot drink. Working on my hobbies.

Then they both went to school and I didn't know what to do with myself... so I filled up my calendar with things to do and somehow I became really busy again... just in a different way.

Just before Christmas things seemed to really settle down for me. I was enjoying my break. I had found a good rhythm to life with kids in school. I was reading books and watching movies and visiting with friends. But I was also getting bored.

Shortly after that, the email came about rejoining the environmental education staff. I had always told them that I would come back when both of my kids were in school so I guess it was time.

Last week, for the first time in over eight years, I got in the car and drove to a job that would give me a paycheck. Right now we are just training but it's all coming back to me and I am looking forward to the days when buses pull up and the air is filled with the voices of children. I look forward to taking them to the stream or teaching them to build shelters and fires. I'm excited for days of helping kids learn how to work together as I lead them through team building exercises.

I'm excited to have a job that I love!

And it couldn't be more perfect for this time in my life! It's still seasonal so I get to be home with my kids during the summer. And the schedule is quite flexible so I'm home with my kids in the morning and again when they get out of school. It's quite perfect! Because it's like I just added another hobby to my life.

I'm so thankful that I discovered environmental education all those years ago!!
I'm a working mom... that's still mostly a stay-at-home mom. :)

media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...