Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Adjusting...

Now that I have a few days of work in, I have come to a few realizations...

1. My first day back was a cold, rainy day. We spent a lot of the day outside getting training on the different lessons we would be teaching to students. My mind had to stay engaged and take it all in. I was at work for 6 1/2 hours that day.  When I left to drive home I. Was. Exhausted. I came home and did nothing. And then I thought oh my! This is what my kids do every day at school! My poor kids! Sitting and learning all day long. No wonder they don't love school! It's tiring to have to be mentally engaged for that long!

2. I now realize why my kids like to bring their backpacks and lunchboxes in and leave them on the living room floor after school. I do the same thing. The last thing I want to do when I get home from work is clean out my backpack and my lunchbox.

3. I don't know how full time working moms do it! I mean... who wants to cook and do dishes when they work all day?? Laundry? Forget it! Weekends? Leave me alone! And I don't even work that much! Just a few days each week and only for a few hours each day. Full time working moms have my full respect!

Going back to work has been an adjustment for me... and I'm still adjusting. I absolutely LOVE my job. I mean... seriously... I get paid to take kids into the woods and look for insects or convince them that the creepy critters in the stream are totally cool and fun to catch and check out. I get to facilitate group building activities and challenges and watch a group of kids learn to work together to accomplish a common goal. My work is FUN. It's exciting. One day I might teach a lesson to a group of eighth graders and the next day I might get to teach that same lesson to a group of first graders. The job never gets boring.

But working is taking adjusting. And since it's seasonal work and I have the summer off I'm sure I'll adjust just in time to be done for a few months. And then in the fall I'll have to adjust again. If I didn't love the job it wouldn't be worth it... but this job is like playtime... and it's worth learning to adjust to new schedules and routine.

media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...