Thursday, May 21, 2015

Fun Times at the Polls

Tuesday was election day.
I woke up, got the kids off to school and then left for a day of work.
After work, I picked up the kids from school, we walked to our polling place to vote and then we stayed to work the polls for the next four hours.

When I had agreed to stand outside of my polling place to promote some friends for school board I had no idea what to expect. School board and the impending consolidation is such a hot topic around town. Would people yell at me? Would they think I was stupid? Would they agree and vote for the people I was supporting?

This was all new to me. And I was a little nervous.

It took me about twenty minutes to find my groove but once I did I actually started having a lot of fun! The other people that were outside promoting people they supported were really nice and after four hours of hanging out with them my abs were beginning to ache from laughter.

I found that I had a harder task than they did because they were each promoting one person and I was promoting five. I couldn't just say "this person for school board!" I had to actually get people to stop and listen for 30 seconds.

I always led in with "have you decided on school board candidates yet?"

I was amazed at how many people had not. Especially since the decisions being made with our schools affects EVERYONE. Parents with school-aged children. Grandparents who want their families to stay near. (If you don't have a good public school system people will move away.)  Home owners and property value. Taxes for the taxpayers. Businesses. (I met a woman who owns a daycare and because of the school changes and them taking away one of the buses that came to her daycare, she will lose 25% of her annual income.) The impact will be huge.

But people didn't know who they were going to vote for as they were on their way in to vote.
So I helped them out. :)

People were really receptive.
People really liked the idea of five people who actually have children in the school district filling the five empty seats on the board.
People are ready for new leadership.

At the end of the day, four of our five won a spot on both the Republican and Democratic ballot. Four of the five will be on our school board after the November election.

At the end of the day I realized that being a part of change, supporting this group of people and having them come out on top... that's the good life! Being involved. Being informed. Having the right to vote... this is the important stuff of life!

My kids were with me for most of the night. They handed out cards with me. They ate a lot of the candy that others were passing out. :) They are learning about the importance of being involved and informed with what is going on in local politics. They are learning to love voting. And with only 26% of registered voters showing up to vote in this primary election... I'm glad my kids are learning young.

We LOVED working the polls and promoting people we believe in! When the polls closed I came home and anxiously watched as the numbers came in. I couldn't sleep till it was over... and then I still couldn't sleep. :) When the kids woke up the next day I gave them the good news. They were happy and Liza said "That was fun! When do we get to do it again?"

In two years Liza. We will do it again in two years when our fifth person runs for school board again. :)

037





media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...